Nothing says spring quite like these Best Ever Blueberry Crumb Bars! Complete with a buttery crust and crumble and a thick layer of juicy, fresh blueberries, these easy bars are amazing!
I’ve been working on some springtime recipes for you guys because it kinda feels like spring already!
But then I go on Facebook and see my East Coast, Midwest and Pac NW friends are buried in snow and I realize that only about 5 out of 50 states are experiencing springtime early.
While I love the sunshine and mild weather, I know that if it is this warm in February, that this summer is going to be especially sweltering. Not looking forward to that at ALL. But I do hope all of you who are buried under mountains of snow get some sunny weather soon!
However, even though it is sunny here, it is still only about 60-65 degrees F which is mild, yes, but kinda chilly. Yet at the clothing store I work at part-time, girls are coming in droves asking when we’re putting our shorts out (???). And at my apartment complex, kids have been hanging out in the pool all day on weekends. Y’all be crazy as hell because it is not shorts or swimming weather, but the second a Californian sees a modicum of sunlight, they throw on their shorts, swimwear, and flip flops.
I am, however, on board with the springtime desserts. Hey, if the stores have already put out Easter candy, it must be coming around the corner before we know it. And first things first are these outrageously amazing Blueberry Crumb Bars!
Sometimes I can be kinda iffy on fruit-based desserts, but I do love blueberries and knew these bars would be the best with fresh, juicy blueberries in them! If blueberries aren’t your favorite, I would imagine these would be equally delicious with blackberries or raspberries, too!
What I love about this recipe is that these bars are super simple to make. The crust and the crumb come from the same mixture so there’s no dirtying up a ton of dishes. And the blueberries are fresh, ripe and ultra juicy which lends for the thickest, gooiest blueberry layer in between the buttery crust and crumble topping.
Once combined together, you have these buttery, tender bars just bursting with fresh blueberries. You do not want to miss out on this recipe!
*adapted from AllRecipes
- FOR THE CRUST & CRUMB:
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 3 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of one small lemon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a 9x13 rectangular light metal baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Spray the foil liberally with cooking spray; set aside.
- For the crust and crumb: In a large bowl, combine the sugar, baking powder, salt and flour and mix well. Add in the cubed butter, beaten egg and vanilla and using a pastry cutter or two forks, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the mixture resembles small pebbles. Dough will be crumbly.
- Press half of the dough mixture into the prepared pan, using your hands to compact it into a neat, even layer. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and lemon zest, tossing to coat. Pour the blueberry mixture evenly over the crust in the pan. Sprinkle the remaining crust dough over the top.
- Bake for 38-45 minutes or until the crumble topping is light golden brown, the blueberry mixture is bubbly and the bars appear set. Cool completely for at least an hour or two before cutting into bars, or you may refrigerate.
I cannot resist the thick, gooey layer of juicy blueberries and I know you won’t be able to, either!
Craving blueberries? Check out these recipes!
Have an awesome day!