You see, Mannie, my Border Collie, loves to bark. Barking is his favorite activity, his favorite pasttime, his favorite now-time, and everything in between. Barking is liiiiiiife to him.
One bark, though, and my family jumps into a tizzy. They get mad that he’s barking and all hell breaks loose and there’s this huge issue between the Non-Carers and the Barking Barkers. The Non-Carers (my mom, myself, and sometimes my brother) are very whatever about this subject. Dogs bark, and we get Mannie to stop when it’s out of control. But the Barking Barkers (my sister, my dad) are the ones who bark back at Mannie when he’s barking by yelling at him.
I want so badly to tell them that yelling at the dog only makes the dog want to bark more, but logic need not apply here.
Most days, this is fine. I’m the only one home and I don’t mind the barking when it happens. But on the weekends, my anxiety goes through the roof and into outer space because Mannie and Winston, our family dog, want to do allllll the barking on weekend mornings when everyone’s sleeping.
And if you’ve never seen someone stumble out of bed having been awoken by a barking dog, it isn’t a pretty sight.
So most weekend mornings I spend corralling ornery dogs and trying to shush them with a louder-volume TV show or random distractions. At times, I’ve even dive-bombed Mannie to try to keep him quiet and still, since he loves moving while he barks. There I’ll be, splayed out on the floor lying gently on top of my beast of a dog on a Saturday morning. It’s a pretty sight I’m sure.
One of these days, Mannie will stop barking – I hope. In the meantime, I make my family ample treats since they put up with his incessant talking. One of the recent treats I made were these Blueberry Streusel Cookies. They’re jam-packed with flavor and taste just like blueberry muffins because, well, it’s made with blueberry muffin mix. I knooooow – muffin mix in cookies? But it totally works.
This recipe comes before you as an archived recipe I desperately needed to reshoot. I’m so glad I did because damn. These cookies are worth dive-bombing.
Muffin Mix Blueberry Streusel Cookies
- 1 box blueberry muffin mix I used Krusteaz
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats not instant
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 Tbsp milk
- FOR LEMON BUTTER GLAZE:
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp lemon peel
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone liners or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the muffin mix - just the dry mix, oats, oil, brown sugar, egg and milk and stir together until a soft dough just barely comes together. Drain and rinse the canned blueberries; gently fold into the dough to combine.
- Portion rounded, heaping Tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for approx. 8-10 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time to ensure even cooking. Cool on the sheets completely.
- Meanwhile, make your glaze. Combine all the glaze ingredients except for the milk together in a bowl, only using milk if needed, until smooth and pourable. Glaze the tops of the cookies and let set, about 10 minutes. Then serve!
Hearty, soft, fruity and delicious, you’ll love these pillowy cookies! I love that they taste just like a really wholesome blueberry muffin but with that delectable streusel-y crumble throughout, thanks to the oats and brown sugar. It really sweetens these cookies and adds great texture and flavor.
Have a sweet day!