This Strawberry Banana Poke Cake is an easy and delicious cake featuring two delicious fruit flavors into one scrumptious cake!
Can we all just agree that strawberry banana is probably one of the best flavor combos of all time?
I absolutely adore strawberry banana-flavored anything. Yogurt, ice cream, jell-o, and now this cake. It’s definitely not a flavor that’s super popular in desserts for some reason, but when it is available, I am a huge sucker for it.
Poke cakes are an older recipe that still hold true in modern times. Traditionally, poke cakes are made with Jell-O but in more recent times bloggers have made it with pudding for an even creamier flavor. I love a good poke cake for many reasons, including the fact that they’re so easy to pull together and they’re always SO moist and delicious. You really can’t go wrong with one!
There are a few essential components to a poke cake: a really good cake base, the “poke” filling, and a frosting or whipped cream to tie everything together. This cake has all three and they’re all delicious pieces to create the ultimate poke cake.
We start with a box of strawberry cake mix that you can find at any grocery store! To ramp up the flavor, I also added in some strawberry gelatin powder which is optional but gives a little more strawberry punch of flavor! Bake the cake and let it cool. Then you’ll poke holes all over the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon.
After the cake has cooled, you’ll make the filling which consists of milk and instant banana pudding mix! Mix it up and pour it over the holey cake, making sure to work that pudding into the holes of the cake. Cover and let the cake chill for about an hour, then frost it with either whipped topping or homemade whipped cream, like I did. Garnish with fresh strawberries and bananas and go to townnnn eating this amazing cake!
I love how bright and refreshing this sweet and fruity cake is! You can really taste the banana and strawberry flavors and everything tastes so fresh and delicious!
Strawberry Banana Poke Cake – introducing your new favorite cake!
Strawberry Banana Poke Cake
- FOR THE CAKE:
- One box strawberry cake mix plus ingredients on back of box
- 3 Tablespoons strawberry gelatin powder JUST the dry powder
- FOR THE FILLING:
- Two 3.4 oz boxes instant banana pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
- FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- Fresh strawberries and bananas sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a 13x9 rectangular baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Prepare the cake mix according to package instructions and stir in the three Tablespoons of dry strawberry gelatin powder until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled, poke holes all over the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon. Set aside. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the instant pudding mix and the milk until smooth. Pour the pudding mixture evenly over the cake, taking care to fill the cake holes as best as possible. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the heavy cream and confectioners' sugar with the whisk attachment on high speed for about 5-7 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream evenly over the surface of the cake. Cut into slices and garnish each slice with fresh strawberries and bananas. Store any leftovers in the fridge.
Refreshing, fruity, creamy and so scrumptious – you are going to LOVE this cake!
Craving more poke cakes? Check out these other recipes!
Have a super sweet day!