This truly is the BEST Caramel Apple Bread ever! Moist, soft and tender cinnamon-spiced bread studded with fresh apples, a brown sugar streusel, and lots of caramel!
It’s official: I’m a book hoarder.
It’s become really bad, you guys. While I wrote my first 2 books, I didn’t have time to read at all. My stack of magazines – which usually was plowed through within a few days – was back-piled for months. And I still bought novels and memoirs, thinking that I’d get around to reading them but never did.
They don’t tell you that writing a book is all-consuming, because it is!
So now I’m done writing and I continue to buy novels and memoirs and have my usual magazine subscriptions and I still have no time to read it all. It’s gotten to the point where it takes me forever and a day to finish reading a smaller novel, and I consider it a personal triumph when I finish a Cosmopolitan magazine.
Every month, I check out the books Cosmo recommends and without fail, I buy them all. Have I read any of them? NO. Because I’m hoping by osmosis I’ll be able to speed-read them one day… or something.
Don’t worry, though – I’m going on vacation next month and plan to pack a duffel filled with books and Christmas magazines I still haven’t read since last Christmas.
ANYWAY, I have still been ordering/reading cookbooks and came across an old employee cookbook from my mom’s work. In it was a recipe for Caramel Apple Bread which I initially made many years ago, but I realized that the photos needed updating and I wanted to bring this bread back to the foreground because it is SO. GOOD.
This bread is super fluffy, soft, and tender with a moist crumb. It’s studded with chopped apples, lots of cinnamon spice, and even has brown sugar streusel ribbons throughout. Plus, there’s caramel. Lots of it. A lot of so-called ‘caramel apple breads’ only have caramel drizzled on top. Not this bread! It has caramel on top and in the batter which imparts such a wonderful, buttery flavor.
I may be behind on reading, but don’t let yourself get behind on baking because you need this bread!
*from my mom’s employee cookbook
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2-3 tsp ground cinnamon, depending on how spicy you like it
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups peeled and coarsely chopped apples (I used Granny smith and Gala)
- ½ cup caramel sundae sauce
- FOR THE STREUSEL:
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp cold butter, cut into cubes
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Liberally grease an 8" or 9" loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Cream the butter and granulated sugar together with an electric mixer in a medium bowl until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda into the lemon juice - mixture may fizz and bubble up, this is okay. Whisk in the eggs and vanilla until combined and pour the egg mixture into the butter mixture, beating well.
- Add in the flour, salt, and spices until just barely combined - do NOT over mix. There should be lots of flour spots still throughout the batter. Fold in the apples and mix until just barely combined again. Over-mixing will lead to a tough bread or a bread that sinks in the middle once baked.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together the dry streusel ingredients. Using 2 forks or a pastry cutter, cut the cold butter into the streusel mixture until you achieve coarse crumbs. Spread HALF of the apple bread mixture into the prepared pan. Top with HALF of the streusel and a drizzle of caramel (about ¼ cup). Repeat layers.
- Bake for approximately 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the bread comes out clean or with moist - not wet - crumbs. Cool completely before serving. Just before serving, drizzle with more caramel sauce.
Moist, tender Caramel Apple Bread that is sure to be a hit wherever you take it!
Have a super sweet day!