So Sacramento has been having some wacky weather.
Good wacky, like when you see an elderly woman with lavender hair. Not bad wacky, like your uncle who may or may not be on some kind of stimulant.
Last week, it was SO nice: 60s-70s with a gorgeous breeze, a slight chill in the air and a smidgen overcast but just the right peekaboo amount of sun. I was wearing a long-sleeved shirt and leggings on one day and I felt like I should break out the pumpkin spice lattes and Halloween decor. But I didn’t, much to the happiness of my family who is averse to decorating too early because they have reputations to uphold or whatever.
But this week it’s set to be in the 100s which is a cruel joke if I’ve ever heard one. How can you toy with my emotions, Mother Nature? How can you make me giddy in leggings one day and sweating profusely while sticking to every surface I sit on the next? I’m convinced that wherever Mother Nature lived, she never had to try to peel her denim shorts off of her butt while trying not to pee her pants. That may or may not have happened to me. Multiple times. (Okay fine, like every day of my life in the summer).
So with this hellish weather appearing suddenly (and unwelcome), it’s high time we started thinking of easy, no-bake treats to curb our sugar cravings in the summertime. And if you’re like me, you’re always craving something that’s baked when it’s like, 110 degrees outside. But since I’d rather not burn from the inside out by preheating my oven, I’ll stick to these EASY No Bake Copycat Cosmic Brownies.
These brownies are INSANITY, people! They are so unapologetically FUDGY that they almost taste just like a piece of fudge. They have this creamy, light chocolate frosting on top that’s just amazing, and they’re topped with the Cosmic Brownie sprinkles – those little candy-coated chocolate doo-dads. (I found mine at Michael’s, but you can try your local grocery store, Target, Walmart, or your hobby store. Or use sprinkles or miniature M&M’s).
So if you’re looking for something that’s in-your-face-fudgy, packed with gooey chocolaty flavor and super easy, this is your dessert!
*adapted from my No Bake Peppermint Mocha Brownies recipe
No Bake Copycat Cosmic Brownies
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (7 oz jar) marshmallow creme/fluff
- 1 (15 oz pkg) Oreo cookies finely ground (filling and all)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- FOR FROSTING & TOPPING:
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup candy-coated chocolate sprinkles miniature M&M's, or sprinkles
- Line an 8x8" baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Spray the foil generously with baking spray; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the evaporated milk and espresso until dissolved over medium heat. Add in the chocolate chips and marshmallow fluff, stirring until chocolate and fluff are melted and the mixture is smooth. Meanwhile, while this mixture melts together, pour the Oreo cookie crumbs and powdered sugar into a large bowl.
- Pour the chocolate marshmallow mixture into the bowl with the cookie crumbs and powdered sugar; toss until combined. Mixture will be thick and sticky.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan, spreading it into an even layer. I like using an off-set spatula for this! Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- To make the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, cocoa powder and vanilla until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and beat well, pouring in the heavy cream until frosting is light, fluffy and smooth.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the brownies and top immediately with the candy sprinkles. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until set. Store leftovers in the fridge.
Fudgy, rich, sinful and chocolaty, these taste just like brownies but are NO-BAKE!
Have a wonderful day!
Love you more than usual at this particular moment.
Thanks a bunch girlie!
Stephanie | Worth Whisking says
I always seem to give into my baking temptation by turning on the oven in the summer, but if I can make rich and fudgy brownies like these without heating up the kitchen, I’m there! These are just the ticket the next time I have a serious chocolate craving!
Stephanie, you’ll adore these when it’s too hot to technically “bake”!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) says
this is amazing! I can’t believe these brownies are no bake-and that ingredient list sounds SO GOOOOD. love
Thank you girl! xoxo!
these look fantastic! Is there a substitution for the espresso powder or could it possibly be eliminated?
Patti, you can absolutely eliminate the espresso powder! It just really adds a rich depth of flavor to the chocolate (and doesn’t make them coffee-like at all!). If you don’t have it, you could use instant coffee, or again, eliminate it completely! 🙂