That’s right. A freaking CAKE.
So this cake is kinda sorta ridiculous in the best way possible. Two brownie layers sandwiched around chocolate chip cookie dough, and covered in chocolate ganache and chocolate chips. Heaven help us all.
I feel kind of silly talking about ridiculous cakes after everything that’s happened in the last couple of days. Outrageously gooey cakes just seem so trivial, you know?
There is so much I want to say and even more that I want to do, but my hands are tied. But what I will say – without making a political mess out of all of this – is that we need more love and compassion in this world. Desperately. Between our next-door neighbors and our far-away neighbors. Between humans and animals. Between us and the climate. Sometimes I feel like we as humans just like to destroy everything in our paths, but that’s clearly not successful for us. If we all just stopped, took a deep breath and refocused our hateful energies into positive ones, the world would be a happier, safer place.
But because we’re human, this won’t happen. And so for that reason, I want to say I’m sorry to the people of Orlando who experienced such horror and tragedy recently. I’m sorry that you couldn’t feel safe in your own community. I’m sorry that you were let down. I’m sorry that a great deal of you lost your lives, your friends, your sons & daughters, boyfriends & girlfriends, brothers & sisters, and beloved members of your tight-knit community. I’m sorry, and I’m sending every sugary, positive thought your way.
On a lighter note, I feel like anyone & everyone will enjoy this cake. What’s not to love? It’s fabulous in the best way possible, and it’s surprisingly simple to make, too!
So to begin this mishegas, you’ll want to whip up two boxes of your favorite brownie mix. Whatever brand you’re loyal to, or whatever’s on sale – doesn’t matter. You could even use your own homemade recipe, as long as it produces really fudgy – not cakey – brownies. Whip up those batters and distribute ’em among two well-greased and parchment-lined springform pans.
NOW. I am gonna go ahead and say it, but the springform pans are kinda essential to this recipe. You could absolutely try lining and greasing a regular 9″ round cake pan, but I found that brownies are tackier and have more of a crusty edge to them than cakes, which makes them SO much easier to remove from a springform pan than a regular one. If I were you, I’d experiment with one box of brownie mix in a 9″ round cake pan and see if it works. If so, proceed! If not, ask your neighbor if she has a springform pan (or 2!) you can borrow.
Bake up those brownies and let them cool. Then release them from the springform pans and place one of the brownie cakes onto a cake stand or plate. Top it with egg-free chocolate chip cookie dough – good ol’ fashioned, straight-forward, no-funny-business cookie dough. Once that’s all spread on, top it with the other brownie cake half.
And then comes the truly outrageous part.
My Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownie Bombs are coated in rich milk chocolate and sprinkled with mini chocolate chips, but this cake is topped with a gooey, silky smooth chocolate ganache which takes the cake from a little earthling to out of this world goodliness. And yeah, ‘goodliness’ is now a new word. Use it.
The only thing I recommend you do? Don’t blame me when you eat the whole thing.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownie Bomb Cake
- FOR BROWNIES:
- 2 boxes fudge brownie mix plus ingredients on back of packages
- FOR COOKIE DOUGH:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- FOR GANACHE & TOPPING:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup miniature chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease two 9" springform pans with cooking spray. Place a parchment circle in the bottom of each pan, and spray that with more cooking spray. Seriously, you cannot use enough cooking spray here! Set aside.
- In two large bowls, prepare each box of brownie mix according to package directions. Pour each bowl of batter into each springform pan. Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with clean or moist, not wet, crumbs. Cool completely before releasing the outer rim of the pan.
- Once brownie "cake" layers have cooled, make your cookie dough. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, brown sugar and sugar until combined, about 1 minute. Add in the heavy cream and vanilla, beating well. Lastly, add in the flour and beat until combined. Fold in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Place one brownie "cake" layer upside down onto a cake stand or serving plate. Spread the cookie dough in a thick, even layer on the brownie layer. Top with the second brownie layer, right side up.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, add in the 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and the heavy cream. Microwave on HIGH power for about 30 seconds. Stir until smooth and glossy. Pour the ganache over the top of the cake and let it drip down the sides. Sprinkle with the miniature chocolate chips. Store covered in the fridge for 3 days or at room temperature, covered, for about 1 day.
I promise that while the recipe is long, it’s actually quite simple! This cake is such a stand-out dessert that’s sure to make a great impression!
Have a super sweet day!
Love my Brownie Bombs? Be sure to check out some other bomb-diggity sweets!