The leaves are changing, the weather’s cooling down (finally), and all those comforting fall foods are back in season. (Can you say butternut squash and pumpkin? Yum!).
But let’s face it: pumpkin is the star when it comes to fall food. Who doesn’t like pumpkin? I’d like to meet them and question them intensively.
And pumpkin is the star of today’s post. Well, one of the stars. Marshmallow is the real winner here, and it’s found in every single bite of these adorable, poppable donut holes.
You see, one of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes has to be sweet potatoes whipped with crispy, toasted marshmallows on top. Is there anything better?! Well, maybe pumpkin pie with marshmallow whipped cream – a new tradition I brought forth last year and one I’ll continue this year. It’s a great way to update a classic with a fun, sweet twist, which is exactly what I’m doing today.
These donut holes are soft, moist and bursting with sweet pumpkin flavor and are filled with a luscious marshmallow crème filling. I then went the extra mile and drizzled them with white chocolate, but you could easily glaze these bad boys or dip the tops in chocolate for a different take on this new family favorite. Or, if you’re feeling really feisty, combine a summertime favorite with this fall classic: turn it into s’mores donuts by adding chocolate chips to the batter and topping it with crushed graham crackers and JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Bits for added crunch and more marshmallow-y goodness. It’s so easy to transform these little nuggets into something extra special!
Don’t have a mini donut hole pan? Easily transform these into regular donuts by baking them for 7-9 minutes and topping them with chopped up seasonal JET-PUFFED Pumpkin Spice Marshmallows, or try topping them with Mallow Bits for extra texture.
Now are you ready to take a bite out of fall!?
*adapted slightly from my Maple Pumpkin Donut Holes recipe
Pumpkin Marshmallow Donut Holes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ½ cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- ¼ cup milk or buttermilk
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1/2 package ( ½ of a 7 oz container) JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Liberally grease a 24-cavity mini donut hole or mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin, milk, eggs, oil and vanilla until combined. Stir in the flour, baking powder and pumpkin pie spice until a soft, wet batter forms. Batter will be lumpy; this is normal. Do not over-mix the batter.
- Portion heaping Tablespoonfuls of batter into the prepared pan. Bake for approx. 8-10 minutes or until the tops spring back lightly when touched. Cool completely.
- Using a piping bag attached with a long bismark tip (or any open-circle baking tip), pipe the marshmallow crème into the center of the donut hole, gently squeezing the piping bag as you slowly pull the tip out. Repeat with remaining donut holes.
- Lastly, drizzle each donut hole with a small coating of melted white chocolate. Allow chocolate to set briefly before serving.
Have a super sweet day!
In the interest of full disclosure, I am working with Kraft JET-PUFFED Marshmallows for this post as part of their blogger program. I was compensated for this post, but all opinions, as always, are my own.