What happens when you forget to post a Valentine’s Day-themed recipe before Valentine’s Day? You post it days later, obvi!
I try to stick to schedules since I tend to be a planner and a huge list-maker. But stuff happens, I forget, I don’t care, or Intervention is on and I just neglect it. I’m sorry. I’m the worst blogger ever.
BUT, the good thing is is that Neapolitan’s a yearround flavor. It doesn’t necessarily have an expiration date like eggnog or peppermint (though if it were up to me, eggnog and peppermint would not be judged in summertime), and it works because it’s comprised of three fabulous flavors that are seasonless: vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry. What’s not to love?!
…and it happens to be the theme of my sweet new blog design! BTW, did you enter my giveaway yet? I’m giving away a FREE pair of Tieks flats, a Too-Faced Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar Palette or a $25 Baskin Robbins gift card! Winners are chosen on Tuesday, so wiggle your butt over to that post to enter!!
ANYWHO. Since I’m a lover of both Neapolitan and seven layer bars, I figured there had to be some combining love-child makin’ happening between the two. The results are magical! There’s bites of chocolate, vanilla and strawberry goodness in every bite, and if you’re as fanatical about this flavor as I am, there’s a must-make for sure!
Neapolitan Seven Layer Bars
- 1 box strawberry cake mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tsp strawberry extract optional, but enhances the flavor - I recommend it
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 pkg. Ghirardelli Chocolate & Strawberry Squares unwrapped and roughly chopped (if you cannot find this flavor, substitute with Chocolate & Raspberry - no one will tell the difference)
- 1 cup Jet-Puffed Strawberry Marshmallows
- About 20 Berry Oreos roughly chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- Rainbow sprinkles if you'd like
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9" baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Mist the foil liberally with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, egg, oil and strawberry extract, if using, until a soft dough forms. Press the dough evenly into the prepared pan and bake for approx. 12 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven but keep the oven on. Evenly distribute the chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, chopped chocolate squares, marshmallows and Oreos onto the dough. I like putting the marshmallows on first so they're covered - it prevents them from burning and expanding as much. Drizzle evenly with the condensed milk.
- Bake for approximately 20-22 minutes or until center appears set and the top is golden brown and bubbly. Cool completely (I recommend overnight) before lifting out of the pan and cutting into squares. Garnish with sprinkles, if you'd like!
I love the rich burst of sweet strawberry in these chewy, gooey bars! They would be perfect alongside a bowl of Neapolitan ice cream… but that’s only if you want to do it a la Hayley 🙂
Have a sweet Sunday!!
I give this the “unicorn approved” seal of approval.
I’m always posting holiday recipes a few days late, too. But these are definitely worth the wait!
Eh, sometimes ya just can’t win. Oh well! 😛 Won’t stop me from eating holiday treats yearround – I’m STILL snacking on Halloween candy I found!
Kelly - Life Made Sweeter says
These bars are totally worth the wait! All those layers look mouthwatering!
Kelly, thanks so much! They are definitely worth the wait – I love Neapolitan too much! 🙂
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life says
Neapolitan is definitely a year round thing!!! And it’s your blog, so do what you want, right? I’m ok with seeing pretty bars like this any time 🙂
Glad I’m in good company, Jocelyn!! xo.