Hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
With that said, prepare to be bombarded with about 347234872 more seven layer bar recipes in the next couple weeks. Forrealsies.
Seven layer bars are quickly becoming my new BFF. They’re like the ultimate go-to dessert because you can’t go wrong, the possibilities are seriously limitless, and they taste AHMAZING. Plus, you pour a can of sweetened condensed milk on top, and everyone knows SCMilk is like, nectar from the gods. Swear it. It says on the package.
They’re my go-to. My trusty companion.
Like, on the level of excuses, it’s as crazy and farfetched as “my dog ate my homework” but on the practicality level, it’s totally a “I have a migraine and it’s making me stabby.” People are going to think it sounds odd at first, but they’ll soon realize it makes sense. Unlike this entire paragraph which I’m sorry and ashamed I wrote.
Anywho. Seven layer bars flavored like that go-to snack, the peanut butter + jelly. Sweet raspberry jelly paired with salty peanut butter, swirled harmoniously together on a yellow cake base and topped with tons of magical candies, nuts and goodies sure to tantalize your mouth-hole.
Get yo PBJ on.
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup Reese's peanut butter cups, roughly chopped
- ½ cup chopped peanuts (I used the sundae topping kind in a can)
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chocolate chips
- 1 cup raspberry M&M's
- ¾ cup Ghiradelli Dark & Raspberry chocolate squares, chopped
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9 inch baking pan with foil, extending the sides over the edges of the pan. Lightly mist with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, egg and melted butter--mix until a stiff dough forms. Press the dough into the prepared pan and bake for approx. 12 minutes or until lightly set in the middle.
- Remove the pan from the oven and immediately top with the Reese's cups, peanuts, peanut butter chips, semi-sweet chips, raspberry M&M's and chopped Ghiradelli chocolates in an even layer. Drizzle the can of scmilk over the top of the bars and return to the oven.
- Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or so, or until the bars are bubbling and set in the center. Cool completely before gently lifting from the pan using the foil handles and cutting into bars. Store airtight, at room temperature, for several days.
Sticky, chewy, sweet, and gooey .. these bars are reminiscent of a favorite lunch box staple but in a candy-coated square of heaven. The combination of flavors and textures from the different candies, as well as the different tastes (sweetness from the raspberry jelly seeping from each Ghiradelli chocolate, the salty peanut butter oozing from the Reese’s cups), makes this treat a delicious experience in every bite. You’ll love these unique bars and so will your kiddos!! The only thing missing is a tall glass of milk 🙂