Classic, All Butter Peanut Butter Blossoms

These classic, all-butter Peanut Butter Blossoms are the PERFECT cookie! Soft, chewy, thick and buttery and filled with a delectable chocolate center. This dough is so foolproof and doesn't require chilling!Everyone and their mother knows about these cookies.

The ever classic peanut butter blossom.

And I’m here with a wonderful rendition of this family favorite!

You see, on my quest to create the perfect – or perfect in my eyes – peanut butter blossom, I realized most recipes had shortening in them. I happen to dislike shortening for the texture it gives baked goods, so I decided I needed to create a cookie that was entirely butter-based that would taste delicious, produce a soft, chewy, rotund cookie, and would be peanut buttery enough to stand up to that chocolate kiss candy.

You guys, this is that recipe!

It’s totally foolproof, it’s made in one bowl, and it doesn’t require chilling. It’s totally the easiest cookie recipe ever. It’s like your chill grandpa who doesn’t care about anything anymore and wears argyle to every family function. No-chill but chill cookies. Er, something like that.

And you wanna know a little something? I realized after I had half the dough in the bowl that I didn’t have any smooth & creamy peanut butter, only chunky. And this works beautifully with chunky peanut butter as it does with creamy. The chunky peanut butter adds great texture to the cookies, but if you prefer something smoother, stick with creamy. Just know you have options!

And when it comes to the kiss candy in the middle, you have my permission to think outside the cookie jar. Substitute caramel-filled kisses for the solid milk chocolate, or try the Hugs (the swirled kind) for a festive touch.

See? I told you. Chillest cookies ever. They’re just begging to be eaten.

Now make ’em and send me some!

Classic, All Butter Peanut Butter Blossoms
Author:
Recipe type: Cookies
Cook time:
Serves: 24

These All-Butter Peanut Butter Blossoms are perfection! Soft, chewy and studded with a solid milk chocolate candy for that classic cookie everyone loves.
Ingredients
  • ½ cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
  • ¾ cup white sugar, divided
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • ¾ cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 & ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • About 24 Hershey's Kisses, any flavor (milk chocolate was used here)
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone liners or mist them lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, ½ cup of the white sugar and the brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the peanut butter, egg and vanilla to combine. Lastly, beat in the baking soda and flour until a soft dough forms.
  3. Roll rounded Tablespoonfuls of dough into the remaining white sugar and place 1" apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for approx. 8-10 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time to ensure even cooking. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes before adorning the center of each cookie with a kiss candy. Cool the cookies completely before serving.

These classic, all-butter Peanut Butter Blossoms are the PERFECT cookie! Soft, chewy, thick and buttery and filled with a delectable chocolate center. This dough is so foolproof and doesn't require chilling!These are a classic for a reason! Thick, chewy, soft and buttery with crisp edges and that delightful chocolate center. Enjoy these warm or room temperature – they’d also be great to ship off to loved ones in far away lands. 🙂

These classic, all-butter Peanut Butter Blossoms are the PERFECT cookie! Soft, chewy, thick and buttery and filled with a delectable chocolate center. This dough is so foolproof and doesn't require chilling! Have a super sweet day!

Comments

1. I prefer cookies with butter instead of shortening too. Looks delicious!

2. Christian cunn8ngham says:

U make the best dessert

3. Yay! I’m with you on disliking shortening, I’ve literally never used it. Butter all the way! And the pb blossoms look so delicious and perfect

4. I am so excited I found your recipe 🙂 Soooo yummy!!!! Thanks!!!!

5. I’m new to baking! Is this salted or unsalted butter?? Thanks! 🙂

6. I made these and they looked lovely, but the peanut butter taste wasn’t as dominant as we’d like. If I increased the peanut butter by 1/3 a cup, would it change the cookie’s composition?

Thank you!

It shouldn’t affect the cookie’s final outcome, Jenn. Maybe add 1/4-1/2 cup additional flour to compensate for the more moisture. Enjoy!

7. Hi, I just made a double batch of these, followed the directions exactly & now I have a huge bowl of crumbled peanut butter dough. It won’t hold together when I tried to roll into a ball. What do you think is wrong?

Hi Kristen! Not sure what went wrong – perhaps your butter wasn’t fully at room temp? – but you can stream in a little milk to the dough to make it more cohesive. Start with a couple Tablespoons-worth, mix well, and see if it’s more pliable. Add up to 1/4 cup. It shouldn’t affect the dough. Hope that helps!

8. What kind of butter? Salted or unsalted.

9. Just made 2 big batches for Christmas! I used some with kisses and some with rolos candies. They are perfect! Thanks!

10. Hi Hayley!!!! My 3 year old daughter and I absolutely LOVE baking these cookies together!!!! I just started a blog and was hoping to feature something about us baking these together however I wanted to get your permission first!!! I would link it to your original post as well! Thank you in advance for your consideration and again we love these!!!!

Hi Patricia, sure, as long as there’s a link I’m fine with it. Thank you and so glad you and your daughter enjoy baking together! xoxo!

11. Love these cookies.

12. Hello, I’m from Argentina and we don’t have hershey kisses here. What could I use instead? Thank you

Hi Pauli! Any solid chocolate candy will do, or even a caramel filled chocolate candy! You could also make a tiny well in the center of the cookie with the handle of a spoon and nestle some chocolate chunks or chips in there, too!

13. Can I refrigerate the dough overnight and bake the next day?

14. Cindy Tannen says:

These were my favorite cookie when growing up. So I was glad to find this recipe since I don’t have the one my mother used. I found them to be lacking flavor. I noticed there is no salt in the recipe is the first thing. Then I remember my mother cooking for 7 minutes, then pressing the kiss in the center and baking another 5 minutes.

15. Jennifer Clayborn says:

Made these today……wonderful recipe!!! Will be making again! Thank you for sharing.

16. ElizabethO says:

I also had issues with the dough being a bit dry and I had a feeling about it as I was mixing it so I stopped at 1 1/2 cups flour. I also didn’t think they were quite peanut buttery enough (personal preference) so in my second batch I added about 2 tablespoons more peanut butter and they were great!
    The info on letting them cool a bit on the pan helped the middles get cooked a little longer which I preferred so thanks for that bit of wisdom!

• Lucille Ward says:

I just made them. Crumbling apart! Big mess! The taste of peanut butter is weak. They didn’t flatten out not sure what went wron but I followed the recipe to the letter. Help!!

• I commented below, however, did you print the recipe out and follow the printed recipe? Did the printed recipe call for 2/3 cup peanut butter and 2 cups of flour? If you look at the screen, the recipe calls for 3/4 cup peanut butter and 1 1/2 cups of flour. Try it again increasing the peanut butter and decreasing the flour. You will get a much different result. GOOD LUCK and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

17. Can’t wait to make these tomorrow! Baking all day for my childcare loves and for my sister to take to our local hospital where she works in the ER. Love adding Reese’s as well as Hershey kisses. ☺️ Yummy! Looks like a great recipe.

18. My batter was very dry and crumbly too. My butter was definitely soft enough, it had been out for over 5 hours at that point. One tray is in the oven now, so we’ll see how they turned out; but I wanted to come here while they were baking and check to see if anyone else had the same issue. I wish I had read the comments first, I’d have stopped at 1.5 cups flour too, or added some milk before baking.

So they came out dry but tasty. While the first tray was baking, I added a few tablespoons of milk and that helped with the batter. That tray just came out and they are definitely looking better than the rocks.

19. I made these cookies for the first time this Christmas. And as with your dough, it came out very stiff and I could barely get that last cup of flour incorporated into the dough and the peanut butter flavor just wasn’t prominent. I am an experienced baker and like many of you, I print the recipe out to have in front of me and and follow the printed recipe. I am not sure if anyone else caught this, but if you look at the recipe on the screen itself, among the other ingredients, the recipes calls for 3/4 cup peanut butter and 1 1/2 cups of flour. However, when I printed the recipe, the PRINTED recipe calls for 2/3 cup of peanut butter and 2 cups of flour. I just made this recipe again today. I followed the directions on the screen using 3/4 cup peanut butter and 1 1/2 cups of flour. They turned out PERFECT. Give the recipe another try.

20. How come ingredients call for 3/4c white sugar but directions only use half? Just want to make sure I do this correctly. Thanks !

Hi Danielle, you use some of the sugar in the cookie dough, and the remaining sugar to roll the cookies in before baking 🙂

21. I had an older printout of this recipe with the 2/3 c peanut butter and 2 c flour. I found the recipe to be a little dry. I baked for 8 minutes allowed cookies to sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes. When I pressed the chocolate kiss into the cookie, the cookie cracked and fell apart. I see now that the recipe calls for less flour. I will see if this helps. The cookie is tasty.

22. Followed the recipe almost exact….used 1 cup of Peanut Butter. THEY CAME OUT AWESOME!!!! Thanks for a great recipe. My first time making these too 🙂