The ever classic peanut butter blossom.
And I’m here with a wonderful rendition of this family favorite!
You see, on my quest to create the perfect – or perfect in my eyes – peanut butter blossom, I realized most recipes had shortening in them. I happen to dislike shortening for the texture it gives baked goods, so I decided I needed to create a cookie that was entirely butter-based that would taste delicious, produce a soft, chewy, rotund cookie, and would be peanut buttery enough to stand up to that chocolate kiss candy.
You guys, this is that recipe!
It’s totally foolproof, it’s made in one bowl, and it doesn’t require chilling. It’s totally the easiest cookie recipe ever. It’s like your chill grandpa who doesn’t care about anything anymore and wears argyle to every family function. No-chill but chill cookies. Er, something like that.
And you wanna know a little something? I realized after I had half the dough in the bowl that I didn’t have any smooth & creamy peanut butter, only chunky. And this works beautifully with chunky peanut butter as it does with creamy. The chunky peanut butter adds great texture to the cookies, but if you prefer something smoother, stick with creamy. Just know you have options!
And when it comes to the kiss candy in the middle, you have my permission to think outside the cookie jar. Substitute caramel-filled kisses for the solid milk chocolate, or try the Hugs (the swirled kind) for a festive touch.
See? I told you. Chillest cookies ever. They’re just begging to be eaten.
Now make ’em and send me some!
Classic, All Butter Peanut Butter Blossoms
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup peanut butter smooth or chunky
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- About 24 Hershey's Kisses any flavor (milk chocolate was used here)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone liners or mist them lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, 1/2 cup of the white sugar and the brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in the peanut butter, egg and vanilla to combine. Lastly, beat in the baking soda and flour until a soft dough forms.
- Roll rounded Tablespoonfuls of dough into the remaining white sugar and place 1" apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for approx. 8-10 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time to ensure even cooking. Allow to cool on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes before adorning the center of each cookie with a kiss candy. Cool the cookies completely before serving.
These are a classic for a reason! Thick, chewy, soft and buttery with crisp edges and that delightful chocolate center. Enjoy these warm or room temperature – they’d also be great to ship off to loved ones in far away lands. 🙂