I don’t know about you, but croissants are one of those breakfast items that I usually skip over. I like them, but if given the choice between a flaky croissant or a chewy donut, I’m choosing the donut — hands down.
But that doesn’t mean I don’t have my croissant-eating moments. I surely do.
Usually I like them as a bread for a simple sandwich like a BLT.. nothing beats a light, flaky and buttery croissant as the blanket that surrounds crispy bacon and juicy tomatoes, am I right? Or that same croissant vessel encompassing scrambled eggs and gooey cheese for a breakfast sandwich. (I really need to stop this food talk — I’m getting SO HUNGRY).
However, today I’m using the croissants as a vessel to hold something even more sinister and delicious — NUTELLA. These Nutella Croissants will blow your mind, y’all. Simple, delicious, ready in mere minutes, and only three ingredients. Seriously, going to the store for croissants requires more time and effort. You could be eating these in under one hour AND don’t even have to put on pants. It’s a win-win, my friends.
Even though I’m not a big chocolate fan either (I know — worst food blogger ever), I could NOT stop noshing on these croissants. The Nutella gets super melty inside and tastes so incredible against the flaky, crispy, buttery croissants. If Nutella isn’t your thing, consider using Biscoff spread and sprinkling the tops with cinnamon & sugar for a sweeter kick. Or use peanut butter and chocolate chips inside for a fun peanut-butter-cup twist on these easy and versatile croissants.
I guarantee you likely have these three items on hand right now, so let’s eat breakfast already!
*from Ali’s version
- 1 pkg puff pastry, thawed but still cool
- ¾ cup Nutella spread
- 1 egg, beaten
- Coarse sugar for sprinkling, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone liners or parchment paper and set aside.
- Sprinkle flour evenly onto a large, flat work surface. Unroll the puff pastry into a single layer. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, gently roll the pastry sheets out to make slightly larger squares. Cut each puff pastry sheet horizontally into thirds (I use the natural perforation seals from when they were folded). Then, cut each third of pastry in half diagonally to make twelve triangular pieces of pastry.
- Spread a generous Tablespoon or so of Nutella onto the wider end of the triangular piece. Begin rolling up the crescent from the widest piece into a crescent shape; place the croissants onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the tops and sides of the croissants with the beaten egg and if you'd like, sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar. Bake for approx. 20-25 minutes or until light golden in color. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container for several days.
These croissants cannot be any simpler to make! They’d be perfect for weekend brunch, or to make before a busy week for an on-the-go breakfast treat. As I mentioned before, subbing the Nutella for your other favorite spread would be awesome — I love the idea of a Biscoff version, or even using some of the flavored peanut butters to spice things up 🙂 the options are endless, but no matter how you make it, this will easily become a family favorite!
Have a fantastical weekend!