These Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tart Bars are layers of shortbread cookie with an addictive and thick brown sugar cinnamon filling and a cinnamon glaze JUST like your favorite Pop Tarts from childhood!
One of my favorite snacks growing up were Pop Tarts. I had a few flavors I liked, but none were as favorable as the brown sugar and cinnamon ones. Those were top-tier!
I love them still to this day, but I don’t buy them as often because I just feel like I’d have no self-control around them. And similarly, after making these, I had the same issue. They are insanely good. You’ve been warned!
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tart Bars
What are Pop Tart Bars, exactly? It’s kind of like a cookie bar, consisting of a shortbread-type cookie (the same kind I used in my Salted Caramel Butter Bars!) sandwiched around a brown sugar & cinnamon filling. You’ll bake it until it is golden brown and set, and then top it with a cinnamon and vanilla glaze, very similar to the ones on the Pop Tarts.
These Pop Tart Bars have ingredients you probably have on hand, including:
- Butter: we’ll be using unsalted butter in the cookie recipe for flavor, and as our fat element
- Sugar: both granulated sugar and confectioners’ (powdered) sugar are used to make these bars extra tender and flavorful
- Salt: to balance the sweetness
- Vanilla Extract: for flavor
- All-Purpose Flour: for structure
The filling consists of brown sugar (light brown is fine!), ground cinnamon, and a little bit of all-purpose flour for some structure, mixed with melted butter. This will create a sandy texture that will be the perfect brown sugar and cinnamon filling for our bars.
Lastly, the glaze is just confectioners’ sugar, ground cinnamon, a splash of vanilla extract, and some heavy cream or milk whisked together until smooth.
Tips for Baking
- These bars can be stored at room temperature for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
- You can also freeze these bars without the glaze on them. Simply place the unfrosted bars in a single layer in a freezer-safe bag or container and freeze for up to 3 months. Let thaw at room temperature, then glaze.
These Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tart Bars are seriously DELICIOUS. You are going to FLIP for them!
*idea inspired by Butternut Bakery
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tart Bars
FOR THE BARS:
- 1 cup (2 sticks OR 16 Tbsp) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
FOR THE GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
- Preheat oven to 325℉. Line a light metal 8x8" square baking dish with parchment paper, extending the sides of the parchment over the edges of the pan. Spray the parchment with cooking spray; set the pan aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and granulated sugar with the paddle attachment until creamy, about 1 minute. Add in the confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract and beat on low-speed until just combined, about 1 minute, scraping down the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed. Lastly, add in the flour and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Press half of the mixture into the prepared pan in an even layer. Take another piece of parchment and place it on the counter. Take the remaining dough and shape it onto the piece of parchment paper in a square shape roughly the same size as your pan; this will be your top layer. Set aside briefly.
- For the filling ingredients: In a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Add in the melted butter and stir together until the mixture becomes like wet sand. Sprinkle the filling mixture liberally onto the dough layer in the pan in an even layer.
- Take your remaining dough on the piece of parchment and carefully peel the parchment off of the dough square (the dough may stick and/or rip a little; this is fine). Place the dough square on top of the filling and gently press the edges together to seal and repair any cracks that may have torn (if any).
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until light golden brown on the edges and the top appears set. Cool completely.
- Once cooled, make your glaze: in a medium bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and heavy cream until smooth and pourable. Pour the glaze evenly over the bars and spread into an even layer. Allow the glaze to set completely before cutting into squares.
- Bars can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
I absolutely LOVE how these taste like a deep-dish Pop Tart! I hope you love them, too!
Have a super sweet day!