Skip the pastry crust and bring on the crumble with these irresistible Pumpkin Pie Crumble Bars! Layers of buttery crumble and crust with a creamy pumpkin pie spice filling make for an easy, delicious fall bar!
So, I admit, I am not the biggest pumpkin fan.
And by not the biggest, I mean I’m not a pumpkin fan.
I know, it’s kind of against all food blogging rules to be a dessert food blogger and dislike pumpkin spice. I can’t help it! I was born this way. When it comes to fall flavors, my heart lies firmly with apples. But, I know how much people adore this gourd so I put my differences aside and try to come up with the best pumpkin-y recipes I can year after year. This will hopefully be a new favorite for you guys!
This recipe combines pumpkin pie with my classic crumble bar recipe into a delicious and easy bar! Is it a bar cookie? A pie bar? You decide!
The Crust & Crumble
The crust and crumble is your standard for my signature crumb bars. It starts with granulated white sugar, baking powder, salt, all-purpose flour, some ground cinnamon for flavor, cold cubed butter, a lightly beaten egg and some vanilla extract. You’ll combine everything together using a pastry cutter or two forks until the mixture resembles small pebbles. The cool thing is, this mixture is both your crust and your crumb. I love not having to make two different recipes for the crust and crumb!
The Pumpkin Pie Filling
The pumpkin pie filling couldn’t be easier: you’ll combine pure pumpkin puree, some brown sugar for depth of flavor, vanilla extract for sweetness, eggs to bind, and lots of pumpkin pie spice for yummy flavor and whisk it together, then pour it over the crust. This filling bakes up just like a pumpkin pie and is nice and creamy!
When making this recipe, make sure you purchase 100% pure pumpkin puree. You’ll need 3 cups of pumpkin puree which is a lot (but we’re making this in a 9×13 pan and you want a nice thick layer of pumpkin filling!). I find the large can of pumpkin is the perfect amount.
Buttery, perfectly spiced, sweet and tasty – you’re going to love these Pumpkin Pie Crumble Bars!
Pumpkin Pie Crumble Bars
For the Crust & Crumble:
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- 3 cups 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice see Note for individual spice amounts*
- Preheat oven to 375° degrees F. Line a 9x13 light metal rectangular baking pan with foil or parchment, extending the foil or parchment paper over the sides of the pan. Spray the foil or paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- For the crust: Combine the sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and flour in a large bowl. Add in the cold cubed butter, lightly beaten egg and vanilla extract. Use a pastry blender or two forks to cut the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles small pebbles and is fully incorporated. Press half of the crust mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan in an even layer.
- Meanwhile, in another large bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice and whisk until smooth and incorporated. Pour the pumpkin layer evenly over the crust and smooth out to the edges. Immediately top with the remaining half of the crumble, sprinkling it evenly over the pumpkin layer to cover.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until light golden brown on top and set. The center should not be jiggly. Cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set before cutting into squares. These can be served cold or at room temperature.
These yummy bars are a must make this fall season!
Have a super sweet day!