These Best Ever Homemade Oreo Cupcakes are seriously amazing! Light and fluffy moist white cake filled with Oreo pieces and topped with a crown of homemade Oreo cream cheese frosting!
Calling all Oreo lovers! These cupcakes are for you!
So, confession time: I am not the biggest Oreo fan but I couldn’t resist these delicious cupcakes. Cake is my preferred dessert of choice so I always have trouble saying no, no matter what the flavor or flavor combo is.
These cupcakes consist of a moist, fluffy and super light homemade white cake that’s studded with chunks of Oreos in every bite! We then top it off with a huge crown of homemade Oreo cream cheese frosting, an additional sprinkle of Oreo cookie crumbs, and a halved Oreo just to really drive the point home 🙂 I loved the combination of the chunky bits of cookies swirled throughout the fluffy white cupcakes. So delicious!
This white cupcake base is super simple to make which is why I love it. I have always been intimidated by cake recipes that require egg whites because they tend to be drier in texture, and I personally cannot stand dry cake! However, this recipe uses oil as its fat which imparts amazing moisture so there is NO dryness in sight. Also, a lot of times white cakes use cake flour which can be harder to source for some, but this one uses all-purpose flour and still manages to have a super light and airy crumb and fluffy texture. It’s truly an amazing recipe!
Your Oreo frosting consists of butter, cream cheese (more on that in a minute!), vanilla extract, finely crushed Oreo crumbs and confectioners’ sugar whipped together until smooth and creamy. I decided to use a cream cheese base because this cupcake has a LOT of sweetness happening, from the cake to the cookies, and the cream cheese offsets that a little bit with its signature tang. You can totally omit the cream cheese and make a standard American buttercream if you wish, but I urge you to try it with cream cheese and see what a delightful difference it makes!
Together, the cake and frosting makes a delectable Oreo cupcake you’re going to swoon over!
*cake recipe adapted from Baking A Moment
Best Homemade Oreo Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 1 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1⅓ cups granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped Oreo cookie pieces about 8-10 Oreo cookies
For the Oreo Frosting:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 8 ounces (1 package) cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup finely crushed Oreo cookie crumbs from about 6-8 Oreo cookies
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 12 Oreo cookies, halved for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F. Line 2 muffin pans with 24 paper liners; set aside.
- In a medium/large bowl, combine the oil, buttermilk, egg whites, and vanilla and whisk until combined. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt and whisk until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix on medium-low speed until combined and smooth, about 90 seconds. Stir in the Oreo chunks until combined.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 - 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist, but not wet, crumbs. Cool the cupcakes completely.
- For the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla together until fluffy and smooth, about 1 minute. Add in the confectioners' sugar gradually until frosting is light and fluffy. Stir in 1/2 cup of the finely crushed Oreo crumbs and mix until just barely combined.
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Garnish with the remaining Oreo cookie crumbs and top with an Oreo cookie half. Please note that if you're piping the frosting onto the cupcakes as high as it is in the photos, you may need to double the recipe.
Soft, moist, fluffy and SO chocolaty and Oreo-y, these Oreo Cupcakes are soon to be a family fave!
Have a super sweet day!
Elizabeth Pizzyro says
Pls can we have in metric as when i convert cups into metric my receipes dont turn out good.
Hi hayley! Can i turn this cupcake recipe into a cake? I have two 9″ round baking pans here, should i double the recipe? Thank you. Happy New Year🎆
Hi Jehan, yes, I would double the recipe for both cake and frosting for two 9″ rounds.