This may be my new favorite holiday snack: Peppermint Candy Cane Muddy Buddies! This addictive mix consists of white chocolate and peppermint-coated Chex cereal, dredged in candy cane pieces and powdered sugar. Super easy and SO tasty!!
I absolutely LOVE the holidays for many reasons, and a big one is because I LOVE holiday food. Who doesn’t love ALL the Christmas cookies, peppermint everything, hot cocoa, and Christmas candies? It’s truly the best time of year for food in my humble opinion.
One of my favorite holiday flavors is peppermint. Those peppermint Hershey Kisses are next level stuff and I can’t keep them in the house without inhaling the entire bag. Peppermint bark, candy canes, peppermint mochas – I am obsessed. So after I made these muddy buddies, I practically ate the entire bag before I had to pump the brakes. They are just SO easy to shovel in your mouth while binge-watching Hallmark Christmas movies.
I am new on the muddy buddy train and I am surprised I haven’t made more! They are SO addictive, and the iterations and different flavor combos are just too tempting, though I struggle to find one that can top this one!
Muddy Buddies, also known as puppy chow, are chocolate-coated Chex cereal pieces that are then dredged in powdered sugar. The classic version also has some peanut butter melted into the chocolate for an added layer of deliciousness.
For this iteration, there are a few key components:
- White chocolate: this is the basis of the chocolate mixture for these muddy buddies, and white chocolate pairs beautifully with the peppermint
- Andes peppermint baking chips: aka, one of my fave seasonal products! These are soft and creamy peppermint flavored baking chips found near the chocolate chips or in the seasonal candy aisle. Unlike candy canes, which can burn since they are pure sugar, these are creamier and melt beautifully.
- Chex cereal: you can use rice Chex or corn Chex. I think rice has a more neutral flavor, so I like to use that one.
- Crushed candy canes: A little shake up of these candy cane bits adds crunch on the muddy buddy clusters
- Powdered sugar: a necessary ingredient to coat the muddy buddies!
Minty, sweet, chocolaty and delicious, you guys are going to LOVE these addictive Peppermint Candy Cane Muddy Buddies!
Peppermint Candy Cane Muddy Buddies
- 10 cups Chex cereal (rice or corn, I used rice)
- 16 oz (One package) white chocolate Candiquik or almond bark
- 1 package Andes peppermint baking chips divided
- 1 cup crushed candy cane pieces
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar divided
- Add the Chex cereal to a large bowl and set aside. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the white chocolate candy coating and 1 cup of the Andes peppermint baking chips. Melt for 30 seconds, then stop to stir. Melt for another 30 seconds, stop to stir, and melt for another 20-30 seconds or until totally melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture evenly over the cereal and toss to coat. Try to coat each piece and make sure to scrape the bottom of the bowl! Add in the remaining Andes peppermint baking chips and the crushed candy cane pieces and toss quickly. Working quickly, spoon the still-wet cereal pieces into a large resealable bag. Add 1½ cups of the powdered sugar to the cereal in the bag; seal the bag and toss to coat the cereal with the powdered sugar. Open the bag and add the remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar, tossing to coat.
- Allow the cereal to set, about 10 minutes, before serving. Keep at room temperature sealed airtight for freshness. Can last about a week.
These are bright, sweet, crunchy, and so so irresistible! I am definitely making them again asap!
Have a super sweet day!