If you love turtles, you’re going to love my No-Bake Turtle Wafer Cookies! These bite-size cookies are entirely no-bake and super easy to make, with buttery caramel, rich milk chocolate and crunchy pecans.
Growing up, we had this wonderful neighbor named Sue. She was an older lady who lived across the street and every holiday, without fail, she’d leave these special little goody bags for my siblings and I in our mailbox. On Easter morning, or Valentine’s Day before school, we’d run out to the mailbox to collect our loot. Each goody bag had cute little things like pencils, stickers, and always, always had a box of chocolates.
Of course, as a creative kid I loved the stickers and drawing utensils, but I really, loved the box of chocolates! They’d be a little box of See’s or Whitman’s and I looked forward to savoring each one. Sometimes, if we were really lucky, we’d get the box of turtles – you know, the quintessential Christmas candy consisting of pecans, caramel and chocolate? Super delicious. I always will remember Sue’s generosity during the holiday season, and will always remember that she was the first to introduce me to turtles!
If you’re like me, you’re likely planning what to make for the holidays. Each year I create goody bags for my close neighbors and friends and am always trying to figure out what to make. Enter: these No-Bake Turtle Wafer Cookies! They couldn’t be easier to make, are entirely no-bake and taste amazing! Just try and eat one – they’re seriously addicting!
There are a couple components to making these cookies, but I promise they’re easy! You’ll want to line a baking sheet with foil or parchment – this helps with easy cleanup – and arrange some Nilla Wafer cookies in an even layer, right-side up. Then you’ll make your caramel sauce which consists of caramel bits (or Kraft caramel squares) melted with a little heavy cream. Microwave to melt, then spoon onto the cookies. The caramel will pool a little around the cookies – this is normal! You’ll let the caramel set for a minute, then melt your chocolate candy coating and spoon it on top. Immediately sprinkle with chopped pecans, and voila! Super simple and SO tasty!
Buttery, crunchy, sweet, salty, and nutty goodness! You’re going to love these No-Bake Turtle Wafer Cookies!
No-Bake Turtle Wafer Cookies
- One box Nilla Wafers (you can make the entire box for about 60 cookies or make as little as you need)
- One (11 oz) bag caramel bits
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
- One (10 oz) bag chocolate melting wafers or almond bark such as Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate Melting Wafers
- 2/3 cup semi-finely chopped pecans
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liners. Arrange as many Nilla Wafers as you want to make in an even layer - up to 60 or so that are in the package. Set aside.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine the caramel bits and heavy cream and microwave on HIGH power for 30 seconds. Stir, and microwave another 30 seconds. Stir once more and heat for another 15-30 seconds until completely melted and smooth.
- Spoon a teaspoon or two of the caramel onto the tops of each cookie. It's okay if the caramel drips and pools on the sides of the cookie. Allow caramel to set briefly, about 10 minutes. While caramel sets, prepare your chocolate wafers according to package directions. Spoon about a teaspoon or two of chocolate on top of the caramel cookies. Immediately sprinkle with the chopped pecans.
- Allow chocolate to harden and set before stacking, storing or serving.
I love the sweet and salty combination these buttery, gooey cookies have! You’re going to love them, too!
Have a super sweet day!