These Muddy Buddies are the best I have tried! Super chocolaty and full of peanut butter flavor, they’re crunchy, sweet, creamy and SO addictive!
I’m back with yet another amazing candy/snack/irresistible concoction for you to shove mercilessly into your face.
I am confident that unless you were born today from underneath a rock you already know about muddy buddies. Also known as puppy chow for inexplicable reasons, it is a snack/dessert/candy-type treat that consists of Chex cereal coated in a peanut buttery chocolate and then dredged in confectioners’ sugar. It is SUPER delicious, and seriously easy to make – just a few ingredients and it comes together within minutes, really.
While the interwebs has PLENTY of muddy buddy iterations (seriously, you can find orange creamsicle ones to key lime pie ones, probably!), this version is for classic, stick-to-your-ribs, good old-fashioned Muddy Buddies. The classic version is the best, in my opinion! (But we’ll see what I think after I try some of the more unique flavor combos!)
Snack mixes are one of my favorite holiday-time treats because I love to munch on them while binge-watching Hallmark Christmas movies or Real Housewives of Potomac. A good snack mix is just the perfect treat while watching episode after episode, don’t you think? And while my go-to is a spicy and savory Chex Mix like my Grammie Pat made, I need some sweet to balance it out, so this version comes in handy for when the chocolate craving strikes.
For this recipe, you’ll simply melt together some chocolate chips and creamy peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl until smooth. For an added flavor boost, I like to whisk in some vanilla extract to the melted chocolate/peanut butter mixture, then pour it over a big bowl of Chex cereal. For this, I used rice Chex, but corn Chex works just as well! Toss the mixture to coat the cereal pieces evenly in the melted chocolate.
Next you’ll add some confectioners’ sugar to a large gallon-size resealable plastic bag and spoon the coated cereal mixture into the bag. Seal up the bag, shake to coat the cereal in the confectioners’ sugar for a few minutes, then open the bag and add in the last remaining bit of confectioners’ sugar to really coat the pieces. By doing this in stages, you can create those irresistible clusters of coated cereal that are so delicious.
Chocolaty, sweet, salty, crunchy, and soooo divine, these Best Ever Muddy Buddies are a must!
Best Ever Muddy Buddies
- 9 cups rice or corn Chex cereal
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar divided
- Add the cereal to a very large mixing bowl. Then put 1½ cups confectioners' sugar into a large resealable gallon-size Ziploc bag. Set aside.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine the peanut butter and chocolate chips. Microwave on HIGH power for 30 seconds. Stir, then microwave again for another 30 seconds. Stir until smooth and if not totally smooth, microwave for another 15 seconds. Add in the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture evenly over the cereal in the bowl and toss to coat evenly as possible. Scoop the coated cereal into the Ziploc bag with the confectioners' sugar. Seal the bag and shake vigorously to coat the cereal with the confectioners' sugar. Open the bag and add in the remaining 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar; seal and shake to coat once more.
- Allow cereal to set, about 15 minutes, before serving. Store any leftovers in a sealed bag or container for up to 1 week.
You’re going to love this addictive snack mix!
Have a super sweet day!
Jacquie Kelley says
These are fire. But, I don’t have a microwave so I melted my ingredients in the oven, it didn’t work out very well, now that I’m writing this I realize I should I’ve melted it on the stove top.