This is the Best Chocolate Cream Pie I have tried! Supremely rich and chocolaty, the filling is ultra creamy and made with two types of chocolate!
Welcome again to Pie Week!
I have a lot of delicious pies and pie-ish recipes coming this week but I had to bring this recipe to the forefront. It is DIVINE.
When I grew up, we had a Marie Callender’s restaurant nearby and we ate there pretty frequently. My favorite pie is and always will be their Dutch apple pie, but since we would go often enough, I would often try different slices after our meals. Notably favorites included their fresh strawberry, banana cream pie and their chocolate cream pie! I thought theirs was the best until I made this version.
Some chocolate cream pies are weirdly not chocolaty enough? Not sure how that happens, but it’s true. Or the chocolate flavor is really one-note. I strived to ensure this version had a delicious, super chocolaty filling so it is made with two types of chocolate for a truly deep and rich chocolate flavor!
Traditionally, cream pies are made with a pastry crust and this one is no exception. You’ll just need to blind-bake your favorite frozen deep-dish pie crust which is a cinch to do and can be done in advance (score!). Simply prick holes all over a semi-thawed frozen pie crust and bake briefly according to package directions or until golden brown and baked. Then let it cool for a second while you prepare your filling!
This filling gets its creaminess from using half-and-half, which I find it richer than regular milk alone. To a saucepan, you’ll stir together granulated sugar, a little flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, and salt together. In another bowl, you’ll whisk together some egg yolks and the half-and-half and add it to the saucepan with some butter, stirring as you slowly bring it to temperature without scrambling the eggs. Bring to a low boil, then stir in vanilla extract and some chopped bittersweet chocolate. This is your second chocolate source for ultra rich and delicious filling!
You’ll pour the chocolate cream filling into the crust and let it refrigerate for several hours before preparing some fresh sweetened whipped cream and topping the pie! Garnish with some chocolate curls or chocolate chips and voila! The easiest and Best Chocolate Cream Pie!
I dunno about you, but I am dying for a slice!
Best Ever Chocolate Cream Pie
- One 9" frozen deep dish pie crust baked
- 1¼ cups granulated white sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups half-and-half
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Chocolate curls or chocolate chips for garnish
- First, make sure your frozen deep-dish pie crust is blind baked according to package instructions. Set aside.
- For your filling: In a medium saucepan, whisk together the granulated sugar, flour, cocoa powder and salt off of the heat until fully combined. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and half-and-half until fully combined. Add the egg mixture to the saucepan with the dry ingredients.
- Bring the filling ingredients to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Mixture will gradually begin to thicken until it reaches a pudding consistency. This depends on your stove, but could take anywhere from 7-10 minutes. The mixture should be pretty thick to stir with a spoon. Whisk in the butter and bittersweet chocolate until fully combined.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and smooth out the top. Cover the surface of the filling with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours, up to overnight, to set. Just before serving, prepare the whipped cream: in the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the heavy whipping cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form, about 5-7 minutes. Scoop the whipped cream onto the surface of the pie; top with chocolate curls.
Richly chocolaty, ultra creamy and SO delicious! You’ll love this decadent pie!
Have a super sweet day!