This Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake is a revamped version of my famous Grandma’s Coffee Cake recipe! Sweet with tons of delicious brown sugary streusel crumbs and a moist pumpkin spice cake.
Happy October, everyone!
I am so happy this year is almost over, but despite this year’s personal and worldwide challenges, I do look forward to this last quarter so much. Between the weather changing (and saying sayonara to dreaded summer temps!) to the holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving AND Christmas!) and the food (butternut squash, apple and comfort food galore!), there’s a lot to feel grateful for this time of year despite the setbacks.
Of course, I kicked off October (well, technically September 30!) in the ER with chest pains. Never a dull moment in 2020, I swear.
Turns out I have a torn and sprained chest muscle which is surprisingly painful, so I’m on the mend and thinking about all the cute and cozy fall outfits I could wear while I online shop and use a heating pad. This could be VERY disastrous, as fall and winter clothes are my weakness!
Before I inexplicably tore a chest muscle (still have NO idea how it happened!) I made this amazing Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake and I HAD to share it with you. It is a spin of my Grandma’s Best Coffee Cake recipe which I know a lot of you love and adore (and that makes me beyond thrilled!!). I revamped her recipe to have a pumpkin spice twist and it is SO delicious.
This coffee cake has a nice pumpkin spice flavor without being too overwhelmingly pumpkin, TONS of buttery brown sugary streusel on top and a pumpkin spice glaze to finish it off. I love how the pumpkin pie spice just totally gives a cozy fall vibe to my grandma’s signature coffee cake. My entire family – Grandma’s Coffee Cake purists to the nth degree – LOVED this version, including my pumpkin hating dad and my sister’s coffee cake disliking girlfriend. Woo!
What I love about this recipe is it is made in ONE bowl (crumb AND cake!), comes together quickly and tastes amazing hot or cold. I recommend waiting a good 15 minutes after baking before cutting into squares, but believe me, it will be HARD to resist!
Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake is what fall dreams are made of!
Grandma's Pumpkin Spice Coffee Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups granulated white sugar
- 1¼ cups brown sugar I used light brown sugar
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 4 tsp pumpkin pie spice divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree PURE pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar sifted
- 4 Tbsp pumpkin spice coffee creamer
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F. Liberally grease a 13x9" rectangular light metal baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 3 teaspoons of the pumpkin pie spice, stirring together. Add in the vegetable oil and stir to combine until mixture becomes moistened and crumby. Reserve 2 heaping cups of crumbs aside in a separate bowl.
- To the original bowl, add in the pumpkin puree, buttermilk, lightly beaten egg, remaining 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract and stir until just barely combined; some lumps in the batter is okay.
- Pour the pumpkin cake batter into the prepared baking pan. Evenly sprinkle handfuls of the reserved crumb mixture over the pumpkin batter until completely and evenly coated with crumb.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. After baking, prepare your glaze by whisking together the confectioners' sugar, pumpkin spice coffee creamer and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Drizzle the glaze over the warm cake. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting into squares.
You are going to fall in LOVE with this cozy fall-inspired coffee cake!
Have a super sweet day!