These Easy Homemade Salted Caramels are absolutely amazing and totally the best I’ve tried! Soft, buttery, unbelievably rich and chewy, they’re topped with flaky sea salt for the perfect sweet and salty bite!
So I may be jumping the gun and exaggerating a teensy bit, but we’re kinda approaching holiday baking season, no?
I mean, am I that far-reaching to say TIS THE SEASON!?
When the weather cools down around fall season, I start to really get the baking bug. I feel like baking ALL the things – everything pumpkin, apple, pecan and caramel. Those flavors just evoke such cozy feelings in me, so be prepared for all of the yummy comfort desserts!
First up: these Homemade Salted Caramels! I have never made homemade soft caramel candies before and frankly, I was a little intimidated. All the talk about soft ball, hard crack – I’m over here trying to decipher it like I’m reading ancient Chinese scripts. Especially in the slightly outdated method of spinning caramel threads in water?!!? I mean, who am I, Rumpelstiltskin? Ain’t nobody got time for that.
This recipe is EASY, just about guaranteed to work no matter what, and is made in the MICROWAVE!! Yes!!
You literally add the ingredients to a glass bowl, microwave for 6-7 minutes (depending on your microwave), and pour into a buttered dish. Let it set briefly, then cut into squares or strips and serve! These are GREAT gifts (hello, holiday season!) and can be easily wrapped in wax paper to serve. So adorable, so easy, and most importantly, SO delicious!
These have an amazing sweet and salty thing going on that is so intoxicating and irresistible! Richly buttery and packed with deep caramel flavor with a hint of flaky sea salt, they’re deliciously chewy and soft and taste great cold or at room temperature.
Try one and you’ll see just how special these Homemade Microwave Salted Caramels are!
*recipe from Cooking Classy
Easy Homemade Microwave Salted Caramels
- Candy thermometer recommended for accuracy, but not needed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cut into 4 pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar lightly packed
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Flaky sea salt for garnishing
- Butter an 8x8 square light metal baking pan, taking care to butter the corners, bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a large microwaveable glass bowl, add in the butter and microwave until melted. Add in the white and brown sugar, corn syrup, and condensed milk, whisking the mixture until combined.
- Microwave on HIGH power for 6-7 minutes (See Note). I recommend taking it out with hot pads at the 6 minute mark and checking it with a candy thermometer for accuracy - the candy thermometer should read 238-242° degrees. Everyone's microwaves are different, so you may need to increase microwave time in 20 second intervals until it reaches temperature.
- Carefully remove the finished caramel from the microwave and whisk in the vanilla. Pour the mixture into the buttered pan and smooth it into an even layer. Top with flaky sea salt. Allow the caramels to set in the pan for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Cut into 4 rows by 4 rows for a total of 16 squares. Then cut each of those squares into 3 pieces for a total of 48 caramels.
- Wrap caramels in wax paper if storing.
Buttery, soft, chewy and perfectly sweet and salty – you’re going to love these soft caramels!
Have a super sweet day!
These were SO SO incredibly EASY to make AND stupid delicious. Will absolutely be making again! I skipped individually wrapping and put a few in tiny snack bags to distribute. YUMMMMMM.
Caro Lago says
Celebrating these big time. Thank you so much for all your recipes – many Happy Hours in the kitchen leading to many happy calories on my hips. … totally WORTH IT! ??✨?