Tis the season for all things pumpkin, and these Best Ever Pumpkin Cupcakes are no exception! Supremely moist and super flavorful pumpkin cupcakes with a mountain of tangy cream cheese frosting to top them off!
Are you guys ready for pumpkin now that we’re into September?! I figured now was an appropriate time to start posting pumpkin recipes!
When it comes to pumpkin, I am a half-hearted pumpkin lover admittedly. Don’t care for the drinks, and negative on the pie, but when it comes to pumpkin baked goods like donuts, muffins, quick breads and cakes, I am ALL about it!
I know – a dessert food blogger admitting she doesn’t like pumpkin pie or pumpkin spice lattes. It’s basically a crime and I hope you’ll trust my judgment moving forward, ha!
But let’s talk about these Best Ever Pumpkin Cupcakes for a sec!
These cupcakes are super duper moist, thanks to vegetable oil and the pumpkin. They are packed with amazing spice flavor, courtesy of ground cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice which has cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and ground ginger in it. And they’ve got a great light and fluffy cakey texture we all want from a good cupcake. These are definitely it! No dry or crumbly pumpkin cupcakes here – promise!
These amazing cupcakes are topped off with a crown of lusciously creamy cream cheese frosting. I just think the tanginess of cream cheese frosting pairs best with sweet and spicy pumpkin cupcakes. And the stark ivory contrasted against the deep orange color is gorgeous!
The best part is that you can halve this recipe easily for 12 cupcakes which is perfect for smaller events or gatherings, or if you have no self-control around 24 cupcakes!
Best Ever Pumpkin Cupcakes – welcome to pumpkin season!
*adapted from my Pumpkin Cake recipe
Best Ever Pumpkin Cupcakes
FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- One (15-ounce) can pure pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
FOR THE FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 8 ounces (1 brick) cream cheese softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or milk only needed if frosting is too thick (may not use)
- Pumpkin candies for garnish optional but recommended
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with 24 paper liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, pumpkin, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until combined. Add in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, spices, and flour and fold together with a rubber spatula until a soft batter comes together and no lumps remain.
- Portion the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist but not wet crumbs. Cool completely.
- For the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth, about 1 minute. Add in the confectioners' sugar and beat on low speed until fully incorporated and frosting is smooth and fluffy. If frosting is too thick or pasty, add in the heavy cream to thin and smooth it out.
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. Note that if you pipe your frosting super tall like in the photos, you may want to double your frosting recipe. Garnish with a pumpkin candy, if using.
These Pumpkin Cupcakes are so soft, moist and spicy! You’re going to love them!
Have a super sweet day!