This Chocolate Almond Braided Danish is absolutely amazing! If you’re a serious chocoholic, you’re going to LOVE this buttery and super chocolaty pastry!
I hope wherever you are, it is starting to feel like fall!
Sadly, that’s not the case here in Northern California since it is still sweltering, but boy I wish it would cool down soon! I am already getting into the fall mood!
Although this danish could be eaten year-round, something about it is so cozy and warming that it evokes those fall feels inside of me. I just want to light a candle, cuddle up with a book and a chunky blanket and have a window open to let in the breeze. Realistically though, I’m barricaded in the AC on full blast, windows closed to prevent wildfire smoke from coming in and am sprawled out trying to not work up a sweat after walking the dog to the corner and back.
A girl can dream!
Anyway, let’s talk danish!
This Chocolate Almond Braided Danish is super simple to make – it only uses about 5 ingredients and the flavor is outstanding! If you’re a chocolate lover, you’re going to die and go to heaven over this one because it is pure chocolaty goodness.
To start, you’ll need some thawed puff pastry sheets. These come 2 in a package and you can use one to make one danish or both to make two danishes – whatever you prefer. This recipe will be written for both pastries to be used so halve the recipe if you only need one danish. (But believe me, you’ll probably want to bake two!)
All you’ll do is unfold the pastry and brush the center portion with a little almond paste (optional but recommended for a little extra almondy sweetness). Place an unwrapped whole chocolate bar right on top. Then with some quick knife cuts, you’ll fold and braid the pastry pieces over the chocolate bar to create a giant danish. Brush it with egg wash and bake until almost done, then sprinkle with sliced almonds and finish baking. The almonds get toasty and buttery and the chocolate is melty and gooey. It’s seriously divine!
Gooey, buttery, flaky, nutty and sweet, this Chocolate Almond Braided Danish is a must make!
Chocolate Almond Braided Danish
- 1 package (2 sheets) puff pastry thawed
- 1/2 cup almond paste optional but helps bring out almond flavor
- 2 (4 oz each) semi-sweet chocolate bars
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 375° degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner; set aside.
- On a clean, flat work surface, unroll one sheet of puff pastry (it comes in a tri-fold like a pamphlet). On the middle portion, spread 1/4 cup of the almond paste in an even layer. Top with an unwrapped chocolate bar.
- Cut diagonal lines into the left and right side portions of the pastry about an inch apart. Remove the corner pieces (see diagram above). Starting from the top, fold down the top flap, then begin alternating left and right braided strips until you reach the bottom, then fold down the bottom flap. Tuck any remaining pieces of puff pastry underneath the danish. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make a second danish. Place both danishes about 5" apart on the baking sheet.
- Brush each danish with the lightly beaten egg. Bake for 25 minutes or until very lightly golden brown. Divide the sliced almonds evenly on top of the pastries. Return to the oven and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until pastry is golden brown, flaky, and almonds are lightly toasted.
- For the cleanest cuts, allow pastry to cool to room temperature before serving. Otherwise, let cool for about 20 minutes before serving as chocolate will be VERY hot.
You’re going to love this extremely buttery, ultra gooey and deliciously melty chocolate pastry!
Have a super sweet day!