These Homemade Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts taste even BETTER than the store-bought kind with ingredients you can control and pronounce and TONS of flavor!
One of my favorite food groups is snack foods.
In fact, sometimes I use snack foods as a meal when I don’t feel like putting together a whole lunch or don’t have all the components. For instance, sometimes I’ll just have plain deli turkey, a few pickle spears, a handful of pistachios and a string cheese. Totally snacky, yet healthy.
But lest you think I’m some kind of health food goddess, I also have snack food meals consisting of chips and salsa, a few pieces of salami and jelly beans.
Especially now since we’re ordered to stay home, I can’t just run out and grab a self-respecting lunch. Sometimes I gotta go rogue, ya know?
One of my fave snack foods since childhood has to be Pop-Tarts! We always had them in the pantry growing up and I love them ANY time of day. My favorites used to be these blueberries and cream ones where the sprinkles changed colors as they baked in the toaster. But the reigning favorite champ has always been and will always be brown sugar & cinnamon Pop-Tarts!
When it comes to my clothes, I’m loud and flamboyant, but when it comes to food I’m more traditional. I look at the Pop-Tarts shelves now in the stores and there’s hot fudge sundae, red velvet, pretzel!? But when it comes down to it, nothing beats one of the classic flavors like brown sugar & cinnamon!
These Homemade Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts are a cinch to make, come together quickly and taste WAY better than the store-bought kind, I promise! My version uses refrigerated pie crusts, but you can absolutely use your own homemade pie crust recipe if you have one! I just love the ease and quickness of refrigerated pie crusts.
You’ll simply roll out and cut your pie dough into little rectangles, then make your brown sugar cinnamon filling, pile it high on a pie dough piece and crimp another sheet of pie dough over it to create the Pop-Tart. Brush them with egg wash, bake, and then glaze! So easy and great to make with kids, too! Let them help fill the Pop-Tarts or mix up the glaze!
You guys are going to LOVE these!!
Homemade Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop-Tarts
- Two (2-count each) packages refrigerated pie crusts (4 crusts total and at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon divided
- 1 large egg
- 1½ cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a clean, flat work surface, roll out one pie crust sheet. Using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, trim off the round sides of the dough creating more of a square shape. Within that square, cut out 6 small rectangles. Set the rectangle dough pieces 2" apart on one of the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with remaining pie crusts, working with one crust at a time. Try to keep the pie dough rectangles the same or a very similar size in shape.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg and set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, flour, and 1 Tablespoon of cinnamon until blended.
- Brush half (12) of the rectangles with the egg wash and top with a heaping Tablespoonful of the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture, taking care to keep the filling toward the center of the Pop Tart and keep a little bit of the edges clean. Repeat with remaining Pop-Tarts. Take a similarly sized plain rectangle of dough and lay it on top of the filling, pressing the edges to seal together with the bottom half. Use a fork to crimp the edges closed. Brush the tops with the remaining egg wash.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the Pop-Tarts are golden in color. Cool for about 15 minutes on the pans. Meanwhile, make your glaze: in a medium bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla and remaining cinnamon until smooth. Spoon Tablespoonfuls of the glaze on top of the still-warm Pop-Tarts. Allow the glaze to set before serving or storing.
Super simple, homemade, buttery, flaky and tender brown sugar cinnamon Pop-Tarts are officially my new fave thing!
Want more breakfast foods? Check out these recipes:
Have a super sweet day!
I’m so with you on the snacks as meals thing. Today I had hummus and chips for lunch, and I regularly just make a hot dip for dinner. I even have a shirt that says some of my best friends are snacks. My favorite lunch is a couple of baby bells and some salami. These homemade pop tarts look amazing. I live in Scotland, so finding pop tarts in a shop is like hitting the jackpot. Thanks for sharing this.
Renee, omg cheese and salami is the perfect snack/meal! I love those little Babybels!
I just made these and they are fantastic! Thank you!!
I’ve always wanted to make these but didn’t want to go to the trouble of making a pie crust from scratch. This recipe was easy to follow and they taste delicious! Nothing like breakfast for dinner!