Chocoholics will love these Nutella Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes! Super moist chocolate fudge cake with a smooth and decadent Nutella frosting garnished with a Ferrero Rocher candy on top!
I’ve never been a huge chocoholic, but when I get the craving, I get it HARD.
These cupcakes definitely satisfy those cravings, whether you’re an occasional chocoholic or a full-time professional.
Usually in my chocolate craving moods I always reach for a chocolate cake. Layer cakes are one of my favorite desserts and a satisfying comfort food for me. I especially love the chocolate eruption cake from Whole Foods – between the fluffy chocolate mousse filling and the moist cake layers, it is to die for! These cupcakes remind me of that but in cake form and with double the dose of chocolate!
One of my favorite things about these cupcakes are how easy they are. It is no secret I love cake mix, but I always love to give cupcakes like these to cake mix naysayers because 100% of the time, they cannot tell the cake came from a box! With a few key tips and tricks, you can transform a standard box of cake mix into something homemade and so delicious.
My first tip for elevating cake mix bases is by using a package of dry instant pudding mix. No, you don’t make the pudding beforehand – you simply stir in the dry instant pudding mix powder into the batter. This creates such an amazing fluffy and light texture and imparts some moisture for ultra fudgy cupcakes. I also add in some sour cream to really ramp up that moisture factor and makes them ultra rich!
Another secret for making semi-homemade cupcakes taste like they came from a fancy bakery is making your own frosting from scratch. I always find canned frosting tastes so artificial and bland – and making frosting from scratch is so simple and quick. Plus, a lot of our chocolate flavor is coming from our frosting. You do not want to skimp on the Nutella frosting, people!
What’s great is Nutella has chocolate hazelnut flavor and so do Ferrero Rocher which really amps up the flavor. And as if chocolate cake, Nutella frosting and Ferrero Rocher candies weren’t enough, I added a teensy Nutella drizzle on top because whyyyyy the heck not?!
Super moist, ultra fudgy, extremely chocolaty and hella delicious Nutella Ferrero Rocher Cupcakes! Treat yoself!
- FOR THE CUPCAKES:
- One box chocolate fudge or Devil's food cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 & ¼ cups whole milk or water
- ½ cup full-fat sour cream
- One 3.4-ounce box instant dry chocolate pudding mix (just the powdered mix)
- FOR THE NUTELLA FROSTING & TOPPING:
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup plus ⅓ cup Nutella, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 & ½ - 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 18-20 Ferrero Rocher candies, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 muffin tins with about 18-20 paper liners.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, eggs, oil, milk, sour cream and dry pudding powder with an electric mixer until combined and creamy, about 2 minutes. Portion the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling about ⅔ - ¾ths of the way full. Depending on your cookie scoop and even the brand of cake mix, you should get anywhere from 18-20 cupcakes approximately.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the cupcake comes out clean or with moist, but not wet, crumbs. Cool the cupcakes completely.
- For the frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, ½ cup of the Nutella and vanilla extract with the paddle attachment until fluffy and smooth, about 1 minute. Gradually add in the confectioners' sugar, alternating with the heavy cream until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes. For frosting as high as the ones you see in my photos, you may want to double the frosting recipe. Garnish with a Ferrero Rocher candy.
- Lastly, add the remaining Nutella to a small bowl and microwave for about 10 seconds or until slightly softer and more runny. Add the Nutella to a piping bag or Ziploc and drizzle the Nutella over the cupcakes.
You guys are going to flip for these fantastic cupcakes!
Craving chocolate cupcakes? Check out these other recipes!
Have a super sweet day!