Why choose between pie or brownies when you can have both!? My French Silk Pie Brownies combine the best of both worlds with a super fudgy brownie base and a silky French silk pie mousse topping!
I cannot believe we’re so close to Christmas! How can that be?
It’s also been roughly 2 years since I first created these brownies that I’m only now sharing with you (how rude). Technically the recipe is in my cookbook Two in One Desserts but these are so good that I had to share them on the blog, too!
I was an adult when I first tried French silk pie. It’s not super common around Sacramento, so I never had exposure to it – chocolate cream was the closest. But there are some stark differences between French silk pie and chocolate cream pie. Namely, French silk pie tends to be lighter and fluffier with an airy mousse-like texture, whereas chocolate cream pie has a more thick and creamy pudding-like base.
Now that I’ve been exposed to proper French silk pie and how amazing it tastes, I’ve been thinking of ways to make it extra easy to prepare. Traditionally, French silk pie uses eggs in the filling which must be cooked before serving. I don’t like the extra step of tempering, cooking and cooling eggs, so I managed to create the filling without eggs at all! So easy and you won’t miss them, I promise.
What’s awesome about this recipe is it is a great dessert mashup between two desserts that exist on their own: French silk pie and brownies! And the brownie base is made using my all-time favorite boxed brownie mix, the Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Brownie mix! I find that this particular brownie mix consistently yields the best, super fudgy brownies every time – however, any boxed fudge brownie mix will work! You could even make your own if you wish.
I love how unique, flavorful and impressive these gorgeous bars are! Serve them up with a swirl of freshly whipped cream and some chocolate shavings for an extra pretty presentation. The combination of the fudgy, moist brownies with the light and fluffy French silk pie mousse is absolutely heavenly!
*from my book Two in One Desserts
Best Ever French Silk Pie Brownies
- One box Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Brownie mix plus ingredients on back of box (may substitute with any choice of your favorite boxed fudge brownie mix or your homemade recipe, prepared fudge-brownie style)
- One (4 oz) German chocolate bar roughly chopped
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter cubed
- One (8 oz package) cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- One (8 oz tub) Cool Whip thawed
- Fresh whipped cream and chocolate curls for garnish optional but recommended
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare the brownie mix according to package directions (for fudge-style if offered). Bake in a greased 9x13" rectangular metal baking pan for about 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Cool completely.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, melt the chopped chocolate and cubed butter together in the microwave on HIGH power for 30 seconds. Stir, then melt for an additional 15 seconds or until melted and smooth.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar together with the paddle attachment until fluffy and creamy, about 1 minute. Add in the melted chocolate and mix well. Lastly, fold in the Cool Whip and mix until fully incorporated and no streaks of whipped topping remain.
- Spread the French silk pie filling over the brownies in an even layer. Cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours to set before garnishing with additional whipped cream and chocolate curls, if desired.
You guys are going to go crazy for these delicious brownies!
Have a super sweet day!
Disclaimer: this post contains an Amazon affiliate link. If a purchase is made using my link, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting my blog!