These Air-Fryer Apple Hand Pies are delicious pies that fit in the palm of your hand! Buttery, flaky pie crust filled with a gooey and spicy homemade apple pie filling, then air-fried to perfection! You’re going to love these!
Y’all, I am happy. I checked the weather app for the next two weeks and there are no more 100 degree days!
Consider me THRILLED beyond belief.
Granted, this could mean 100-degree days are coming in about 2 weeks as sort of a last-screw-you to make me personally miserable, but I doubt it. I’m finally feeling free to the confines of the AC, free of the heat stroke that attacks me, and free of shorts, which are possibly my least favorite article of clothing EVER.
Plus, that means cooler fall weather is on the horizon! While there are no 100-degree days for the next two weeks, the weather is still in the high 90s – high 80s. Hoping those numbers go down drastically because I am SOREADY to crunch leaves under my feet, break out the cozy sweaters and boots and go apple and pumpkin picking.
So when I started brainstorming fall recipes, I knew I had to make an apple hand pie in the air fryer, just like my Cherry Hand Pies I posted a few months back! These were a HIT with you guys because they’re so easy and basically only a handful of simple ingredients. But instead of canned apple pie filling, I went ahead and made the filling from scratch which was a brilliant decision on my part! If you are feeling extra lazy, you can always use canned apple pie filling, of course! I would just recommend using two knives to cut the apples into smaller pieces if so.
However, the homemade apples make a world of a difference and are super simple to make! You basically just saute them in some butter, brown sugar, cornstarch and spices until fork tender and let them cool before stuffing the hand pies. Then we’ll air-fry the hand pies in batches (depending on the size of your air-fryer) and once they’re golden brown and fried to perfection, we’ll coat them in an addictive yet simple glaze. The glaze hardens and sends these hand pies over the edge!
If you’re wondering, what’s an air-fryer?BEST appliance everthe one I have! it’s only the ! I don’t get all the newest gadgets and appliances, but air fryers are AWESOME. They use convection heat to “fry” the recipes to golden brown and crispy perfection. You can air-fry nearly everything, from steaks to turkey breasts, mozzarella sticks to bacon! It’s amazing and I highly recommend getting one. (This is ) If you do not have an air-fryer, check out the oven directions in the recipe below!
I know I technically said these were homemade pies in the title, but I totally cheated and used refrigerated store-bought pie crusts! It’s just easier! However, please feel free to use your own homemade pie crust if desired.
I gave these hand pies, along with an assortment of other upcoming treats to my neighbor and he said these were far and away his favorite treat on the plate! I have to agree – I’m a sucker for a good, old-fashioned apple pie and these Air-Fryer Apple Hand Pies are a show-stealing, fantastic dessert!
- One (2-count) package refrigerated pie crusts, almost to room temperature (there should be two 9" crusts in one package)
- One medium Honeycrisp apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- One medium Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I used the full two teaspoons because I like it really spicy!)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- FOR THE GLAZE:
- 2 & ¼ cups confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat your air fryer appliance to 370 degrees F. if it has a preheat option.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add in the apples, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and cornstarch and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are fork tender, about 5-7 minutes, and sauce mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. The sauce will thicken more as it cools.
- Unroll one pie crust at a time into a flat surface. Using a 4-4.5" round biscuit cutter (I technically used the lid of a resuable tumbler!), cut out circles of dough. Re-roll scraps and cut out more circles of dough.
- Take a circle of dough and fill the center with about 1-2 Tablespoons of apple pie filling. Wet your finger with a little water and rub your finger around the edge of the circle. Top with another pie crust round and use a fork to crimp the edges to seal. Poke a couple of holes in the top of the hand pie with the fork.
- Place a few hand pies into the basket of your air fryer (don't over-crowd the basket!) and spritz the top of each with a little bit of butter-flavored cooking spray. Heat at 370 degrees F for 8 minutes or until golden brown and cooked. Carefully remove to a wire rack to cool and air fry the remaining pies.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the confectioners' sugar and milk until glossy and smooth. Working carefully, quickly dunk each pie into the glaze, coating the bottom and top and allowing excess to drip off of the fork. Return to the baking sheet and let the glaze set before serving (about 20 minutes).
- DON'T HAVE AN AIR FRYER?? Bake at 400 degrees F on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 15-20 minutes, checking at the 15 minute mark.
You are going to go crazy for these addictive and easy Apple Hand Pies!
Have a super sweet day!