If you’re craving something sweet and salty, these Salted Butterscotch Blondies will hit the spot! Chewy, soft and buttery blondies studded with butterscotch chips and sprinkled with fleur de sel on top for that irresistible bite.
Sometimes it is hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that I’ve almost been blogging for TEN years.
Like, I don’t feel old enough to have an 8 year old blog… or a 12 year old dog, for that matter, and yet I have both!
Blogging has really changed a lot since I began. It used to be such a strong community of women. We all had our tribes so to speak but we’d congregate together in a larger community at blogging conferences. Smaller groups would vacation together in sponsored retreats. There were about 10 conferences to go to each year, one of which was the place to go. I remember booking my ticket the second they dropped so I wouldn’t miss out, and then I’d reach out to all of my friends to see if they were coming to some cool new city across America.
There was a lot of sponsored opportunities back then, too. I couldn’t open my email without no less than 10 brands or PR companies trying to work with me. Now it’s more like a barren wasteland – I’m lucky if I get a hit once a month.
It’s always bittersweet when the landscape changes. I felt such a camaraderie back then that’s definitely not as present now. Nowadays, the blogging world feels more like every woman for herself than a community, to be honest. Not to say bloggers aren’t supportive of one another – we still are for sure – but it used to be waking up to tons of comments from blog friends. Now it’s down to nothing.
And I pity those who are starting a blog now! The market is so saturated with bloggers from every niche that it would be so difficult to carve out a space for yourself and succeed. Whenever someone finds out I have a blog, they say, “oh man, I should start a blog! Sounds easy!” I always chuckle at their density and obliviousness… when I’m not feeling steam come out of my ears and nose from anger, ha!
Anyway, a long time ago, during my first year of blogging I made these Salted Butterscotch Blondies and I’ve been making them semi-regularly since then. They are my sister Chloe’s favorite dessert I make, and that’s saying something! I remember them because they were one of the first recipes I branched out and made on my own and I remember being so proud of them. Thankfully, that hasn’t changed: I’m still so proud of them because they’re DELICIOUS!
If you love that sweet and salty balance in your desserts, these are the blondies for you. They’re buttery, soft and chewy with pockets of melty butterscotch chips and a sprinkling of fleur de sel on top for a little salty edge. It’s crazy how simple and easy they are, but how CRAZY amazing they taste!
Definitely think about making these soon, and comment if you did! I’d love to hear from you 🙂
Salted Butterscotch Blondies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 2 or so Tablespoons fleur de sel or coarse sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a 9x13 inch rectangular baking dish with cooking spray or line the pan with foil and then grease. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the butter over low heat. Remove from heat once melted and stir in the brown sugar. Let set for 5 minutes to cool slightly, then whisk in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract. Lastly, whisk in the baking soda and flour until a soft batter comes together. Fold in the butterscotch chips.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan and smooth out the top. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist, not wet, crumbs. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Sweet, salty and oh so satisfying, these buttery blondies will cure any craving!
Have a super sweet day!