Ditch the campfire mess and make these incredible Toasted S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies! With the classic, quintessentially American s’mores flavor but extra toasty and delicious in one soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie!
So I got a part-time job recently and I love it!
It’s at my friend’s clothing resale store and I love it for many reasons, one of which is because it forces me to actually wear all my cute clothes instead of looking like a creature from the black lagoon.
But there’s one downfall: I also need to do my hair, which is my weakness (not good weakness… very, very bad weakness).
I somehow managed to skirt by 27 years of my life unable to do hair like 99% of the rest of the female population. I can’t braid. I can’t do a bun. I can’t curl my hair. I only recently purchased a hair brush. My hairstyle is best described as “yep, that’s hair.”
But I can’t look like pig-pen in a cute outfit, so lately I’ve been teaching myself hair tutorials on YouTube. I feel like I’m 10 years old looking up makeup tutorials, but whatever will get me to stop looking like a monster and more like a pinup, I’m all about it.
One thing I’m not completely inept at is making cookies, which is a skill I still miraculously possess after neglecting my blog for a million years (sorry again). And since it’s summer and everyone camps during the summer (for an unknown reason), I decided to do a s’mores-y cookie and boy did I deliver.
These Toasted S’mores Chocolate Chip Cookies are TO-DIE FOR, you guys. SO GOOD.
The base of the cookies is my Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie but with a few tweaks to make these super s’mores-y. First up: replacing the semi-sweet and dark chocolate chips with milk chocolate, a classic s’mores component. I also added some crushed graham cracker crumbs and miniature cereal marshmallows into the dough for that authentic flavor.
NOTE: I highly recommend using only dehydrated cereal marshmallows for the cookie dough. Why? Because regular mini marshmallows will cause your cookies to be a flat, goopy, sticky mess IF they don’t completely disappear in the high heat of your oven. Marshmallows are notoriously tricky little buggers and tend to evaporate in high heat. Thus, the miniature dehydrated cereal marshmallows – which you can find at almost all grocery stores in the baking OR the hot cocoa aisle – are key. At the store, they’re called “Kraft Marshmallow Bits” in a little cylinder can.
After you make the dough, you’ll chill it for 2 hours, up to overnight, which is mandatory to keep the dough from spreading. Roll them into balls and bake – but stop short of your baking time to add a few accouterments to your cookies for a finishing touch and to drive home that s’mores flavor.
A few minutes before the cookies are finished baking, remove them from the oven and stick in a few mini marshmallows and milk chocolate chips and sprinkle with a little touch of crushed graham crackers. Then pop them back in the oven to soften the marshmallows and melt the chocolate into tiny puddles of heaven. You can then use a kitchen torch or the broiler to brown the marshmallows a little bit for that unmistakable toasted flavor we all love. Or, you can ditch your broken kitchen torch and use a long-neck Bic lighter like I did 🙂
Guys – I cannot stress this enough. These cookies are FIREEEEEE. You must try them!
Or get super meta and make a s’mores OUT OF these s’mores cookies. MIND = BLOWN.
*adapted from my Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Toasted S'mores Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar may substitute light
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup ground graham cracker crumbs divided
- 1 cup plus 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips divided
- 1 cup miniature dehydrated cereal marshmallows also known as marshmallow bits
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows cut in half
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, dark brown sugar, and granulated sugar until creamy and smooth, 2 minutes. Add in the egg, followed by the egg yolk, and the vanilla, mixing well after each addition. Lastly, add in the salt, baking soda, cornstarch, flour, and 1/2 cup of ground graham cracker crumbs and mix until combined. Stir in 1 cup of the chocolate chips and 1 cup of the miniature dehydrated marshmallows and mix until incorporated. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, up to 24 hours; this is mandatory!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. While oven preheats, allow cookie dough to soften for about 5-10 minutes. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners. Using a cookie dough scoop, scoop out Tablespoonfuls of cookie dough and place 2" apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then rotate pans. Bake for another 4 minutes. Remove from oven but keep oven on. Place halved mini marshmallows and chocolate chips into cookies. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the marshmallows are toasty and puffy and cookies are set. Remove from oven and sprinkle the tops with a little pinch of graham cracker crumbs. Cool COMPLETELY on the baking sheets before removing to a wire rack or storing cookies.
- Can be stored covered at room temperature for up to 5 days.
You are seriously going to flip for these toasty, soft and chewy cookies!
Have a super sweet weekend!