This Key Lime Pie is truly the best I’ve ever tried! Super tangy and tart with a sweet edge, it’s a cinch to make and couldn’t be tastier!
Normally, this little blogger loathes anything sour and tart.
I grew up in the sour candy generation (or feels like it, anyway). WarHeads, sour Skittles, Sweet Tarts, sour Baby Bottle Pops, even some Ring Pop flavors… none of which were my friends.
It may be hard to believe, but at one point I *did* want to be a follower of what my friends were doing. Alllll my middle school friends would spend their lunch money on the candy vending machine in our cafeteria and they’d ALLLL get sour Skittles. They were still relatively new when I was in seventh grade, so I grabbed some one day. Within one bite, I was basically seizing on the floor… they were SO SOUR!
I managed to finish a package, which wasn’t anything special and didn’t net me any cool points with my friends. The thing you had to do at the end was SUCK OUT THE SOUR POWDER at the end of the bag. Uuggh, I’m clenching every muscle and cringing just thinking about it!
So yeah, I avoid sour things like the plague. However, I also LOVE pickles more than life itself, which is bizarre and contradictory, I know.
I also love key lime pie A LOT which is also bizarre seeing how tart it can be. However, I found this Best Ever Key Lime Pie to be juuuust right. Sweet with a tart edge without being squishy-faced sour if you know what I mean!
I first discovered key lime pie in Miami at Cafe Versailles. I had thought their version was my fave until I had this! Creamy, EASY(!!!), and only a few simple ingredients. If you want to make it entirely homemade, use a homemade graham cracker crust – but I took the easy way out and used my favorite prepared graham cracker crust. However, homemade whipped cream is NOT optional!
Now who wants a slice of this fantastic goodness?!
The Best Key Lime Pie
- One 9" prepared graham cracker crust or use your own homemade recipe
- 28 ounces (Two 14-ounce cans) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup Key lime juice fresh or bottled
- Zest of two limes
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place the graham cracker pie crust on a rimmed baking sheet to catch any drips if it happens.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, eggs, Key lime juice, and lime zest until completely smooth and combined. Pour the Key lime filling into the prepared pie crust and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until set. If it jiggles a little, this is okay and normal. Do not over-bake. Cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours to set.
- Just before serving, make your whipped cream. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip the heavy whipping cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form, about 5-7 minutes. Spread the whipped cream evenly over the pie before serving.
The contrast of the buttery graham cracker crust with the sweet-tart juicy lime filling is absolutely amazing! No wonder why this pie is a classic!
Have a super sweet day!