These Whole Wheat Almond Butter Blondies are gooey, tender brown sugar blondies made with filling whole-wheat flour and almond butter for a seriously divine bar! Studded with dark chocolate chips, these are the perfect blondies for those of you who are looking for healthier dessert options!
I am actually low-key surprised that no one has revolted my blog for doing healthy-ish recipes for 2 weeks now. I guess you guys really wanted some healthier options after all!
Good to know. But don’t expect me to fully change. I am stuck in my ways and love butter, sugar, and doughnuts too much.
However, I’m fine bending the rules a little bit here and there. Like for these Whole Wheat Almond Butter Blondies. No one has to know they have healthier ingredients to make them satisfying both taste-wise and health-wise!
These are very similar to a classic blondie but are made with three better-for-you ingredients: whole-wheat flour to keep you fuller longer; dark chocolate chips, which are loaded with antioxidants and lower in sugar; and almond butter, which has great protein and fiber. I highly suggest making them as-is to try them in their delicious glory this way first, but once you’ve conquered this recipe, try these switch-ups:
- Peanut butter, cashew butter, or sunflower butter for a different flavor
- Adding in chopped nuts: almonds, peanuts, walnuts, or even seeds like sunflower seeds or pepitas
- Add in dried fruits like raisins and/or cranberries
- Switch up the chips by adding in white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or even butterscotch!
Tender, moist and chewy with gooey pockets of deep, dark chocolate, these blondies are SO good, you’ll forget they are healthier for you than other dessert options!
Now get to baking!
*adapted slightly from Sally
Whole Wheat Almond Butter Blondies
- 3/4 cup almond butter if using natural, stir it first
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour such as Bob's Red Mill
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8" square baking pan with foil or parchment, extending the foil or parchment over the sides of the pan. Spray the foil or parchment lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond butter, oil, and brown sugar until smooth. I like using a whisk for this. Whisk in the milk and vanilla slowly, followed by the dry ingredients until a smooth, thick batter comes together. Fold in the dark chocolate chunks.
- Spread the batter (it'll be thick) into the baking dish in an even layer. Sprinkle the top with more dark chocolate chunks, if desired. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and appears set. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares, as the blondies may crumble if cut too early or while too warm.
Buttery, chewy, gooey goodness stuffed with deep, dark chocolate pockets. No one will know these are healthier!
Have a super sweet day!