This is the easiest and tastiest Homemade Funfetti Cake recipe you’ll try! Supremely moist, soft and fluffy, it’s studded with lots of colorful sprinkles and topped with a creamy buttercream frosting.
It’s Friday! It’s Friday!
(Although if you’re like me, you don’t need me to remind you – you’ve had it counting down since last Sunday) 🙂
I love Fridays because they’re my days off, and I also love this one in particular because I have every intention of sitting by the pool, reading a stack of magazines, and drinking cucumber mint limeade that I found at Costco.
Yesterday I spent my day at the spa. Truth be told, I had kind of a hellish week and sometimes spa days are totally necessary for survival. Like, I think if I went one more day without a deep tissue massage, my back would have seized and I would have spent my weekend lying in the fetal position on the carpet. Which, not surprisingly is how I spend some weekends after I’ve been drinking. #YOLO
So yes: back to Operation Pool Day. I’m stoked. If you need me, you better bring me a sandwich and the latest Us Weekly. Will only reply for food.
So I’m going to leave you in good hands with this phenomenal Homemade Funfetti Cake. I’d been wanting to make a homemade funfetti cake from scratch and tried a few recipes before finding that this one was, well, the One. This recipe is supremely moist, soft, and fluffy and has a great crumb texture. You know how some homemade cakes are drier? This one is far from it!
And of course, it’s topped with a homemade creamy buttercream frosting, because that’s really the only way to do funfetti cake, amirightoramiright?
Cheers to the weekend!
*adapted from The Big Book of Cakes cookbook
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 2 & ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 & ½ cups granulated sugar
- 3 & ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 & ¼ cups whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup rainbow jimmies
- FOR THE FROSTING:
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 & ½ - 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Additional rainbow sprinkles for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a 9x13" rectangular baking pan with cooking spray. (Likewise, you may also grease 2 (9") round pans.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add in the butter and cream until just combined. Add in the milk, vanilla extract, almond extract and eggs slowly until a smooth batter forms. Fold in the sprinkles.
- Bake in the rectangular pan for 30-40 minutes or in the 2 round pans for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist, not wet, crumbs. Cool completely.
- To make the frosting: Cream the butter and vanilla extract together in the bowl of a stand mixer until fluffy. Beat in the confectioners sugar, one cup at a time, alternating with the heavy whipping cream until a soft, spreadable frosting is achieved. Spread the frosting evenly over the cake and top with the remaining sprinkles. Store cake covered, either at room temp or in the fridge.
I love how tender, sweet and delicious this homemade cake is! You’ll never want boxed Funfetti again! 🙂
Have a super sweet day!