Gingerbread is such a wonderful flavor for the season, and this Gingerbread Molasses Cake with Chai Whipped Cream is no exception! Warm, flavorful, aromatic gingerbread spices mixed with molasses in a moist cake topped with chai whipped cream.
Happy (almost) Christmas and Hanukkah, friends!
Are you excited?
I still can’t believe it’s only a few days away. When I was a kid, it’d seem like December 1st through 24th took FOREVER. The days would drag oooonnnn and ooooonnnnn and I would just close my eyes at night and will the days to fly on by so I could tear open my gifts.
Now I’m like, WAIIIIIIITTTT in a dramatic slow-mo voice because the days go by SO FAST. And there’s SO MUCH TO DO, Y’ALL.
For one, my house is a disaster zone and I’m hosting Christmas dinner. Yes, it’s only my grandma and uncles and they will hardly judge me if I didn’t dust on top of my fridge, but I still don’t need them to know we live like heathens.
I tried emailing a reputable cleaning company and they haven’t called or emailed me back. So I’m sitting by my phone and Inbox, checking it obsessively like they’re a boy I have a crush on and I’m waiting for a text. WHERE ARE YOU, CLEANING LADIES?! COME TO ME!
Second, I am up to my eyeballs in book writing and maintaining this here blog, not to mention being a functioning member of society (taking showers, attempting to look like a human, interacting with my three dogs and family members, etc) and I just realized I haven’t even sent out Christmas cards or made cookies for neighbors like I do every single year. And then I started thinking, will my neighbors think I’m mad at them if I don’t bring them cookies this year like I have EVERY YEAR for the past 6 years?! It’s not you, it’s me!
So now I’m just trying to balance it all, all while stuffing my face silly with this Gingerbread Molasses Cake with Chai Whipped Cream. Can we just talk about this chai whipped cream real quick? It’s kinda sorta fabulous and I need it on everything from this point forward. Imagine it on hot chocolate!!! Can you even?!
I would have posted this cake recipe sooner, but to be honest, I’d forgotten about it in the midst of trying not to scream my head off/decking the halls/listening to Jingle Bells on repeat, etc. But good thing gingerbread is kind of awesome enough to enjoy all winter, so come January, remember this recipe and make it!
*adapted from here
Gingerbread Molasses Cake with Chai Whipped Cream
- FOR CAKE:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- FOR CHAI WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- Pinch ground cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9" springform pan with cooking spray; place a parchment round in the bottom of the pan and spray the parchment. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, followed by the molasses and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, spices, baking soda, and salt. Add half of the dry ingredients to the bowl, mixing well. Stream in half of the milk, mixing well to blend in. Add in the remaining dry ingredients, beating well, followed by the rest of the milk, beating to combine.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 27-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist, not wet, crumbs. Cool completely.
- To make the chai whipped cream, beat the heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar together on HIGH speed for about 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Add in the cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and cloves and beat until incorporated.
- Serve the cake with the chai whipped cream on top!
Moist, fluffy, molasses-flavored cake topped with the most delicious and flavorful whipped cream you can imagine. You’ll love this wintry recipe!
Have a super sweet day!
DAMN this looks good.
I’ve made this cake at least three times now, and it’s been a hit every time. Thank you for an amazing recipe!!
This is the BEST gingerbread cake!!! We loved it!