If you love eggnog, these Eggnog Gooey Butter Bars are for YOU! Loaded with creamy eggnog and rum flavors in one gooey, chewy bar recipe!
Every year, this happens.
Every year, I remember incorrectly. I think I like eggnog. I get excited when I see it in stores, I inevitably buy a carton and when I take a gulp I realize I don’t really like eggnog all that much.
Sometimes, yes – sometimes I think a small glass sounds really good and festive. Sometimes I’ll get eggnog coffee creamer and add a splash to my coffee so I can feel even more Christmas-y. But glugging an entire carton by myself? Sorry, eggnog lovers – I can’t do it. #foodbloggerfail
BUT, because I’m a loving, caring, giving kind of person, I am willing to sacrifice my fairweather feelings toward eggnog and make eggnog treats for you. Because I love ya and I know a lot of you can chug the stuff no problem. I’m here for you.
Enter: these Eggnog Gooey Butter Bars. They are PACKED with eggnog flavor, so this is not for other fairweather eggnog people. They are for die-hard, hardcore eggnog people. (Side note: ‘eggnog people’ would make an awesome band name. Just saying.)
It’s the recipe for these Gooey Butter Cake Bars but tweaked to have the ultimate eggnog flavor punch. I started with a white cake mix base which you press into the pan. Then I whipped up the eggnog gooey butter part of the equation which consists of cream cheese, eggs, powdered sugar, a little bit of rum and vanilla extracts, eggnog and butter. I mean… can you even handle the awesomeness?
Pour the gooey filling over the base and bake it until golden and just about set. Let it cool – I know, it’s excruciating – and then cut it into bars.
Easy, fabulous, gooey. These are for you, my eggnog people!
- FOR CRUST:
- 1 pkg white cake mix
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, melted
- 1 egg
- FOR EGGNOG FILLING:
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp rum extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 (16 oz) box powdered sugar
- ¼ cup eggnog
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- Additional powdered sugar for dusting, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9" baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Spray the foil liberally with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, melted butter and egg until a thick dough forms. Press the dough into the prepared pan in an even layer. Set aside briefly.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese until creamy and smooth, about 1 minute. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the rum and vanilla extracts, the nutmeg and the entire box of powdered sugar, beating well until smooth. Lastly, beat in the eggnog and melted butter until smooth and combined.
- Pour the filling mixture evenly over the bar base. Bake for approx. 37-45 minutes or until golden brown on top and mostly set. It's okay if the bars jiggle a little when moved, but they should not be sloshing around in the pan. The bars will continue to set as they cool. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Refrigerate the bars to set for about 2 hours. Cut into squares and dust with additional powdered sugar before serving, if using.
These bars are perfect for anyone who wants a taste of the holiday season! A fun twist to a classic recipe 🙂
Have a super sweet day!