Get your kids pumped for back-to-school season with these Peanut Butter & Jelly Crumb Muffins! Tender, fluffy peanut butter muffins filled with jelly and topped with a buttery crumb. A+!
So I had an embarrassing realization recently.
I realized I’m a sound-effects person.
You know, the people who have sound effects for everything? When describing a car accident, they’ll do the whole “BAM!” to emphasize the car hitting the other car, or when describing how their dogs howl when sirens go off, they’ll mimic the same howling noise?
YEAH. I’m one of those. UGH.
I realized this when I was trying on clothes at my fave clothing store in the mall. It was a balmy 100 degree day and let’s be honest, I was … damp … and trying on clothes, which should be deemed an aerobic activity. Who do I call about that? Billy Blanks? Does Billy Blanks still make those Tae-Bo tapes? (Side note: we used to have those Billy Blanks Tae-Bo tapes on VHS when I was growing up. Sometimes, to burn off energy, I would complete them. I was like 12.)
As I was hoisting my shirt over my head, I made an “eeeggh” noise. Then as I attempted to zip myself into a dress, I made a “heppp” noise as I zipped. Then as I bent forward to put on my shoes, I made an “mepp” noise. A MEPP NOISE. What even is a MEPP? I do not know, but I said it plenty loud in this dressing room like I was some kind of voice actor trying out for a demented animal in a new movie.
So it was then, when the customers in other dressing rooms STOPPED THEIR CONVERSATION after I “mepped”, that I realized I need to quickly shut the heck up and quit it with these weirdo sound effects before I was labeled as “the sound effect person” FORREAL and FOREVER. I don’t want to be known as a mepper. I do not want people to stop their conversations because some freak (me) in the next stall is babbling incoherently. WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE WORLD.
After that, I came home and made Peanut Butter & Jelly Crumb Muffins. As you do.
These muffins are kinda fantastic. They have a light, moist and fluffy peanut butter muffin base that’s not super dense and just peanut buttery enough. Then they’re baked with a dollop of jam/jelly/preserves/whatever you call that sticky goo – and a buttery, brown sugary crumb. After they’re baked, they’ll be all golden and perf and you’ll want to squeal but don’t, because that’d be weird. (JK. I totally squealed).
*muffin base adapted from The Frugal Girls. Idea inspired by How Sweet Eats.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Crumb Muffins
- FOR MUFFINS:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1¼ cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup jelly or jam of your choice I used Smuckers Strawberry Jam
- FOR CRUMB TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 pans with about 20 paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add in the creamy peanut butter, milk, sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla and whisk until a thick batter forms. Do not over-mix - the batter may appear slightly lumpy but that's okay. Over-mixing leads to tough muffins!
- Portion the batter evenly among the cups, filling about 1/2" full. Top with a Tablespoon or so of jam of your choosing, pressing it gently into the center of the muffin batter. It's okay if it seeps down the sides a little.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the crumb ingredients until blended and moistened. Drop heaping Tablespoonfuls of the crumb mixture on top of the muffins in the pan. Bake for approx. 18-20 minutes or until the muffins appear done and the top is light golden brown. It'll be hard to do a toothpick test since there's jelly in the center of the muffin. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Buttery, sweet, a little salty, with a great crumb on top. Is there anything more perfect than these PB&J Crumb Muffins?! Bake up a batch on Monday for breakfast throughout the week! (You’re welcome).
Have a super sweet day!
I am such a sound effects person!! And these jammy treats definitely deserve a major sound effect. No babe, I didn’t stub my toe, I’m just eating a muffin.
TOTALLY. These are kinda groan-worthy but in a good way 🙂
Elizabeth @ Confessions of a Baking Queen says
LOL you make sound effects but I literally talk to myself in public. Not joking either than I say to myself still out loud there you go again, stop talking to yourself. Seriously some people must think im nut balls crazy. Anywho these look bomb AF i am really into jams and peanut butter right now so these would be right up my alley, but hey a little whipped cream on top sounds good cuz I am over the top like that 😉
OMG, I totally talk to myself in public, too! It’s especially weird when I’ve been standing in the baking aisle for 10 minutes staring at cake mix and I start mumbling, lol!!
I’m a sound effect person too! I didn’t know until recently either when a friend started making the noises back at me when I would do it 🙂
Ha! I was afraid that strangers in Target would mock me, so I quickly stopped!
Russell from Chasing Delicious says
Okay, this is evil. It looks absolutely perfect. I am definitely giving this a try this weekend.
Thanks so much, Russell! Enjoy!