If you’re looking for something super chocolaty, ultra fudgy and truly delightful, look no further! These Chocolate Mousse Brownies are all that & more!
So this weekend I’m throwing a little party with my close family & friends to celebrate the release of my book, Out of the Box Desserts. I figured it was a great way to get everyone together – some of whom I haven’t seen in a long time! – and eat a bunch of food, drink a bunch of sangria, and hang out in the AC. Sounds lovely, right?
And I’m sure it will be lovely. But in the meantime, and the days/hours leading up to it, it’s not so lovely. Why?
Because basically I come from a long lineage of slobs and ridiculously lazy.
I’m not proud of my heritage; in fact, I’m kind of embarrassed. So much so that I usually ignore the dust bunnies that are living and throwing family reunions under my desk. You can shame the heritage, but you can’t take the heritage out of shame. Wait, that’s not how it goes. I don’t even know anymore.
So yeah, in preparation of having 20+ people in my home this weekend, I’ve been inspecting the house meticulously. And in my inspections, I’ve found some strange things:
- Dog hair gets everywhere. And I mean, everywhere. I try to vacuum and dust and keep clean but my god, I’m surprised Mannie still has hair after the amount I find on the regular.
- Our walls had dust on them. I didn’t realize my family and I were transported and now live inside of Disney’s Haunted Mansion, but apparently we do and I’m pissed that it doesn’t come with free fast-passes to Splash Mountain.
- Dust accumulates irritatingly fast. Like, I dusted on Monday and there’s already more dust everywhere. WHY IS MY HOUSE SO DUSTY!?
- Hazmat suits for a family of five (to prevent a dusty house) are quite expensive.
- I’m pretty sure the bottle of Scrubbing Bubbles is supposed to help clean your shower multiple times; it is not intended as a one-use kinda bottle (unless you live here).
- And I hate cleaning.
So why I didn’t hire a housekeeper is beyond me. Next time!
ANYWHO, let’s talk about these outrageous Chocolate Mousse Brownies, mmkay? They are SO FUDGY, I can barely handle it. And they’re topped with the fluffiest freakin’ chocolate mousse ever. In other words, they’re great house-cleaning fuel AND they’re a must-make if I do say so myself.
Make them now and clean up later!
*recipe from here
Chocolate Mousse Brownies
- FOR BROWNIES:
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- FOR MOUSSE:
- 3/4 cup miniature marshmallows
- 4 oz (1 bar) semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate ganache for drizzling, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9x9" square baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Spray the foil liberally with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the melted butter and sugar until smooth. Add in the eggs, one at a time, stirring well after each addition, followed by the vanilla. Lastly, stir in the cocoa powder, salt and flour until a soft batter forms.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake for approx. 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist, not wet, crumbs. Cool completely.
- To make the mousse: In a large saucepan, combine the miniature marshmallows, chopped chocolate bar, and milk over LOW heat. Stir frequently to melt the ingredients together. Once melted and smooth, cool completely (about 15-20 minutes).
- After chocolate mixture has cooled, whip the heavy whipping cream in the bowl of a stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold in the cooled chocolate mixture to combine. Spread the mousse over the brownies in an even layer. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to set up.
- Just before serving, drizzle with chocolate ganache if desired. Store leftovers in the fridge.
- *NOTE: to make chocolate ganache, combine 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream together in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat on HIGH for about 15-20 seconds, stir, and continue heating in 10 second increments until smooth.
My dad and I couldn’t get enough of these fabulous brownies! They are seriously the fudgiest, chocolatiest brownies I’ve ever had. Any brownie/chocolate/mousse fan will flip for these!
Have a super sweet day!