If you’re on the hunt for something unapologetically gooey, rich and packed with amazing texture and flavor, look no further – these Almond Joy Magic Bars check off that entire list!
I love Almond Joys. Like unnaturally love them.
They remind me of my childhood, rooting through my Halloween stash for those cerulean blue wrappers so I could savor each coconutty bite. It also helped that my siblings hated Almond Joys, so I could always trade my sub-par candy for their Almond Joys. Or just take them when they weren’t looking. (I’m sorry, guys).
In fact, thinking back on stealing my poor baby brother and sister’s candy was kind of a bitchy move… but what do you really expect from a bossy older sister? Scratch that – a bossy person.
I’ve always been bossy. I think it stems from my OCD, frankly, because I hate relinquishing control over most situations. I must control most situations in order to feel comfortable and not have a full-blown panic attack. This usually results in me being a blast to hang out with! (Joking).
I distinctly remember inviting a neighborhood friend over to play one afternoon. After hours of controlling how she dressed her Barbie and prohibiting her from messing up my expertly designed Barbie house, we decided to color. Well, I decided to color – she decided to be infuriating and scribble ALL over the page and not in the lines. I could actually feel my jugular vein throbbing with uncontrollable rage. So much so, that I excused myself and begged my grandma to please send her home because she was driving me crazy.
Let’s just say I wasn’t winning any ‘Friend of the Year’ awards.
ANYWAY. Back to Almond Joys. These bars are so chewy, gooey and packed with those classic candy bar flavors we all know and love. The bars have shredded coconut, slivered almonds, chocolate chips and chopped Almond Joy candy bars in them. Then they’re baked with sweetened condensed milk on top of all that jazz, making them so outrageously delicious. I finished them off with a drizzling of melted chocolate which is optional, but frankly makes them look pretty. Also, who has complained about too much chocolate? No one.
I’m going to make these for Father’s Day because I don’t know a dad out there who would turn down a chocolaty, gooey bar!
- 1 pkg chocolate cake mix
- ½ cup oil
- 1 egg
- 1 & ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 cup slivered or sliced almonds
- 1 (11 oz) pkg Almond Joy Minis, cut into chunks
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9" baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Spray the foil liberally with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil and egg until soft. Press the dough into the prepared pan in an even layer and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven but keep oven on.
- Evenly sprinkle the shredded coconut over the base, followed by one (1) cup of the chocolate chips, the almonds, and the Almond Joy pieces. Drizzle the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the top. Return to the oven for about 18-20 minutes or until bubbly and set.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars. If desired, melt the remaining chocolate chips on HIGH heat for about 20 seconds. Stir, then heat for another 10-15 seconds or until melted. Drizzle on top of the bars.
Chewy, gooey, chocolaty goodness! You won’t be able to stop at just one bar!
Have a super sweet day!