Can you believe this is the first zucchini recipe I’ve made – ever?
I’ve made carrot dessert recipes before I’ve even made zucchini dessert recipes… and I don’t even like carrot desserts!
But anyway, I remedied that with this fabulous Zucchini Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. It is awesome.
This cake is supremely moist and has amazing texture, thanks in part to the zucchini. And then the frosting is well, the icing on top. It’s thick, creamy and sweet with the perfect tang from the cream cheese. And y’all, spice cake and cream cheese is an even better combo than red velvet & cream cheese. Trust.
And the result is this little slice of heaven. I never thought ‘zucchini’ and ‘heaven’ would be found together in the same sentence, but hey, stranger things have happened.
What I love best about this cake is its versatility. If you prefer nuts in your desserts, add some chopped walnuts or pecans on top of the frosting for a little crunch. Or if you want to add some more sweetness, throw some chocolate chips into the batter before baking. So easy to change it to your preferences!
I’m going to keep this post short & sweet because frankly, I have cake to eat. And YOU have cake to make!
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 & ½ cups shredded zucchini
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- FOR FROSTING:
- ¼ cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- About 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally spray a 13x9" baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, water, oil, sour cream and spices until combined. Fold in the shredded zucchini. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for approx. 22-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar about 1 cup at a time or until frosting is thick and fluffy. Spread the frosting over the cake in an even layer. Refrigerate covered for about 1 hour to set before cutting into pieces. Store leftover cake in the fridge covered for up to 3 days.
I hope you guys love this cake! I could not stop eating it 🙂
Have a super sweet weekend!