If you look up ‘fudgy’ in the dictionary, these brownies would come up for sure.
I only had tried German Chocolate Cake in college. I suppose my family is incredibly boring in our cake choices and we only ever had chocolate or Funfetti to choose from. When I grew up, it was like a whole new playing field with cake flavors. I know this sounds like I lived in a bunker, knowing only the sprinkles in the Funfetti mix, but I promise I was a member of society, albeit an awkward teenager at that time.
When I had it, I served it for my Food & Culture college class when I was presenting on Germany. I mistakenly thought German Chocolate Cake had to come from Germany. Um, HELLO. But little did I realize that it isn’t German at all. I’m more German than German Chocolate Cake, and I’m barely German. It’s actually very un-German.
Instead, I should have served Black Forest Cake which is German. Although I did give the class braunschwieger. If you don’t know what that is, consider yourself lucky… unless you like hot dogs, because it honestly tastes like hot dogs. My grandma used to give it to me all the time on saltine crackers and I gobbled it up. If I’d known it was liver, I would have balked… but call it ‘hot dogs’ and any kid would flip.
Unless you’re one of those kids who eats like, beet puree. Then I simply don’t trust you.
But the fact that German Chocolate Cake is an imposter didn’t halt my love for it. There’s something so intoxicating & delicious about that gooey coconut pecan frosting paired with the chocolaty cake. That’s precisely what gave me the inspiration for these Ultra Fudgy German Chocolate Brownies. They’re the fudgiest little suckers you’ll ever eat short of eating actual fudge, and they are topped with a glorious coconut pecan frosting that could honestly just be eaten with a spoon.
The brownies start with my Best-Ever Fudge Brownies recipe which produces really thick, ultra chewy brownies packed with chocolate flavor. In fact, there is a full pound of chocolate in the brownie recipe. I meeeeeann..
Then you top them with that coconut pecan goodness. It starts with some sugar, butter, evaporated milk and egg yolks which are boiled and stirred for exactly 12 minutes. Don’t ask me why; it’s just the nature of the beast and no one questions beasts. Like why Two and a Half Men is still on the air and why tourist men wear socks with sandals, some things we’ll never know… including why it takes precisely 12 minutes to complete. How’s that for your scientific answer?
Once the frosting is done, stir in some pecans and coconut – necessary add-ins for the traditional frosting. Then spread the whole mishegas on top of the brownies, cover it up with plastic wrap, and refrigerate it for a couple hours to set. Once it’s all settled, cut it into bars and eat that goodness up as if your life depends on it!
By the way, I got an A for my Germany presentation, but I’m giving myself an A+ for these brownies.
Ultra Fudgy German Chocolate Brownies
- FOR BROWNIES:
- 1¼ cups butter cubed
- 12 oz semi-sweet chocolate bars roughly chopped
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate roughly chopped
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- Pinch salt
- FOR COCONUT PECAN FROSTING:
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter cubed
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9" baking pan with foil, extending the edges of the foil over the sides of the pan. Spray the foil liberally with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large microwaveable bowl, melt together the cubed butter, semi-sweet chocolate & bittersweet chocolate on HIGH for 45 seconds. Stir, then heat for another 25-30 seconds or until melted and glossy. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the sugar, eggs and vanilla until pale yellow and fluffy, about 1 minute. Pour in the chocolate mixture and mix to combine. Add in the flour, espresso and salt and beat until a soft batter has formed. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread in an even layer; batter will be thick.
- Bake for approx. 37-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist, not wet, crumbs. Cool completely.
- While brownies cool, make your frosting. In a large saucepot, bring together the evaporated milk, sugar, egg yolks, cubed butter, and vanilla over medium heat until melted. Bring the mixture to a bubble/boil and, stirring constantly, boil for 12 minutes exactly or until thickened. Remove from heat after 12 minutes and stir in the coconut and chopped pecans. Cool for about 15 minutes.
- Spread the frosting evenly over the brownie layer. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 2 hours or until set. The pan will weigh approximately 4584 pounds; this is normal. Cut into squares and serve.
Fudgy, chocolaty and dense with that lusciously gooey coconut pecan frosting on top… there’s nothing these brownies can’t do!
Have a super sweet day!
Hof ter Zielbeek says
Oh my goodness! Deliciousness at its height. Looking so yummy that I can’t wait having it. Made myself ready for this recipe today. Hope it comes well as it’s in the image. Thanks a lot Hayley 🙂
Stephanie | Worth Whisking says
Hayley, these brownies look fantastic! I love anything coconut, and “ultra fudgy” is the best kind of brownie! Totally worth the wait (or weight as the case may be)!
Um, yeah, braunschwieger. When our cat was sick and wouldn’t eat, the vet suggested we give the cat braunschwieger. Wouldn’t touch it. I think your class was better off with the faux German chocolate cake! 🙂
Haha Stephanie, that’s so funny about your cat! It’s a VERY acquired taste 🙂
Stephanie mercier says
Please fix your Pinterest recipe: it say 5 yolks for Brownies? That didn’t work?
Stephanie mercier says
Nope. It was my mistake! I can’t read. Sorry!
Sweetened or unsweetened Coconut?
Hi Jessica, I almost always use sweetened!
The top was very crispy and the bottom was undercooked. Not sure what I did wrong!
4,584 pounds!! So right, but I’m dyin’ of laughter here!! 😀