Oh yeah. These Triple Chocolate Nutella Brownies are kind of the mac daddy of all brownies. Just sayin’.
So I’m on a chocolate baking kick.
I realize – maybe incorrectly? – that I don’t have a ton of chocolate recipes on my blog. I have no valid excuse for this, except for that I am a terrible food blogger and you should leave my site immediately. KIDDING. Don’t do that. I have brownies!
It’s probably because I’m not the biggest chocolate fan in the world. I KNOW. Somewhere, a chocoholic is rolling around in their grave at the idea of a dessert food blogger not liking a key component in most desserts. Even dead people think I’m terrible.
And I realize that while this is my blog and my personal haven in the crazy, crumbling world around me, that this isn’t a Hayley show and I’m honestly glad it isn’t. If it were, you’d be seeing a lot more pictures of McDonald’s cheeseburger value meals and Midori Sours in Tupperware cups. Just keeping it real… except not, because in real life I am gross and eat Cheetos like they’re going out of style. Someone call Britney Spears; I need a Cheeto intervention.
So I’m trying to change some things up for your gorgeous, loyal, fantabulous readers of mine. I want my upcoming recipes to be every bit as decadent, sinfully delicious and indulgent as y’all deserve, but still super approachable and easy. And of course, a lot more chocolaty. Unless you don’t like chocolate, in which case, I have plenty of recipes for you folks, too!
So let’s talk about these gorgeous Triple Chocolate Nutella Brownies. They are kind of outrageous in a good way, not in an Aunt-Milly-Is-Drunk-Again way. As you can clearly see in the photos, they are ultra fudgy – I mean, if you look up the definition of ‘fudgy’, you would clearly see this picture. Not to be confused with ‘pudgy’, where you’d see me and Bobby Hill’s picture. Keepin’ it real.
They’re fudgy because they have three (!!) kinds of chocolate in them. Let me count the ways – there’s chocolate chips, there’s cocoa powder, and there’s Nutella, which is what makes regular brownies launch into orbit. You mix that mishegas up with some butter, eggs, flour and some instant espresso powder and voila! Brownie goodness.
A little note about the espresso powder – I don’t want to say it’s essential in this recipe, but it’s pretty damn essential in this recipe. Just like getting churros at Disneyland or throwing the yellow gummy bears out, it’s pretty important. Not telling you how to live your life or anything, but kind of am.
The espresso powder totally elevates the rich chocolaty goodness and enhances it tremendously. It doesn’t taste coffee-like or even mocha-ish; it just really amps up that depth of flavor. If you want a mocha-y flavor, simply add more espresso powder. I’d say a Tablespoon or so would give it a great coffee kick. Otherwise, the simple teaspoon I add is just right to giving these brownies that amazing boost.
So. Are we ready to dive right in?!
*adapted from here
Triple Chocolate Nutella Brownies
- 1 (12 oz bag) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup (1 & 1/2 sticks) salted butter cubed
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup Nutella
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder or more if you prefer a mocha flavor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8" or 9x9" square pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Spray the foil liberally with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large microwaveable bowl, melt the chocolate chips and butter together on HIGH power for 45 seconds. Stir, then microwave for another 25 seconds. Stir again until any large chocolate pieces are broken up and the butter is melted and everything is smooth. Set aside to cool for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add in the sugar and stir to combine. Add in the eggs and yolk, as well as the Nutella and vanilla, stirring well. Lastly, add in the flour, cocoa powder and espresso powder and salt, if you're not using salted butter. Stir until a soft batter has formed.
- Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake for approx. 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist, not wet, crumbs. Try not to over bake as these are intended to be fudgy and will continue to set up as they cool. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Rich, decadent, indulgent and oh so chocolaty, these brownies are perfect for any chocoholic!
Want to make it quadruple chocolate? Throw in some chocolate chips or white chips! Want to add some texture? Toss in some chopped nuts!
Have a super sweet day!
Heya, these look AMAZE!
Would it be possible to get metric measurements for the chocolate and butter? I could probably manage to convert the 12oz chocolate but I am not sure what constitutes a stick of butter.
Hi Lauren! A quick Google search yielded me this result: a stick of butter in America is 8 Tablespoons or 1/2 cup, which would be about 118.2941mL, according to the website I looked at. Hope that helps!
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) says
YAYYYYYY ALL THE CHOCOLATE! Thanks Hayley for being so selfless and sharing chocolate with us 😛 These brownies look insanely fudgy and I adore Nutella <3
Giiiirl, I made these with you in mind, my little chocolate lover!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
Whoa, love how rich and fudgy these look!
Thanks Jessica! xoxo.
Can you substitute instant coffee granules for espresso powder? (These look AMAZING and I suspect I’m going to have a hard time not inhaling all of the batter before it goes into the baking pan!!!)
Hi Remi, sure!