If you’re like me, you’re probably frantically planning your Mother’s Day menu.
Frantically because you’re riddled with anxiety like I am, and planning because it has to be perfect.
Or maybe that’s just me?
Either way, Mother’s Day is coming up and of course you want it to be a special affair for your mom, grandma, aunt, sister, BFF, cousin, your pregnant cat Trixie – whatever and whomever is a mama. Actually, please don’t feed Trixie this cake. But I do recommend giving her extra lovins.
ANYWAY. This Lemon Layer Cake is so simple and comes together super quickly which is great since that means you get ample time to spend with your mama. And the star of this cake is a can of Lucky Leaf’s Premium Lemon Fruit Topping & Filling. This stuff is incredible.
It’s very similar to a lemon curd, but I find it’s just perfect – not too sweet, not too tart, and so easy. Just crack open the can and you’re done. I spread the Lemon Filling thickly on each layer before spreading on a creamy cream cheese filling which also has some of the Lemon Filling inside. Then I finished the entire cake off with a beautiful raspberry border which adds a nice pop of color and because lemon + raspberry = BFF. It’s true.
This recipe calls for a cake mix because I’m all about easy shortcuts, but feel free to make your own scratch-made yellow cake mix and flavor it with some lemon zest and lemon juice for that bright lemon flavor. Either way works!
And of course, make sure you serve the special lady in your life a nice, big slice. She deserves it!
Happy (early) Mother’s Day to all you lovely ladies out there!
Lemon Layer Cake
- 1 box lemon cake mix plus ingredients on back of box
- 1 (3.4 oz box) dry instant lemon pudding mix
- 1 (8 oz pkg) cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (8 oz tub) Cool Whip thawed
- 1 can Lucky Leaf Premium Lemon Fruit Topping & Filling
- Zest of one lemon
- Raspberries for garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease 2 9” cake pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, prepare the cake batter according to package directions. Stir in the dry pudding mix to combine. Portion the batter evenly among the pans and bake as directed on the package, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- Once cool, make your filling. In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until creamy and light, about 1 minute. Beat in 1/3 of the Lucky Leaf Lemon Fruit Filling to combine. Fold in the Cool Whip topping and the lemon zest.
- Place a cake layer on a pedestal or plate, top side down. Spread the cake with 1/3 of the Lucky Leaf Lemon Fruit Filling, spreading just about to the edges. Top with ½ of the Cool Whip mixture. Place the remaining cake layer on top, top side down. Spread with the remaining Lucky Leaf Lemon Fruit Topping and the remaining Cool Whip mixture. Garnish with raspberries.
Bright, sweet, tart and ultra lemon-y, this Lemon Layer Cake will be the star of your Mother’s Day celebrations!
Be sure to connect with Lucky Leaf by visiting their website HERE or connecting with them on Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest for recipe ideas & more!
Have a super sweet day!
In the interest of full disclosure, I am working as a brand ambassador for Lucky Leaf and was compensated for this post. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make The Domestic Rebel possible!
Leave a Reply