So I just did my taxes.
Actually, I had an accountant do my taxes because even double-digit multiplication proves to be too much for me.
And I’m sad to report that I owe money this year.
WHYYY does the IRS cramp my style?
It’s like they don’t want me to spend my hard earned money on clothes, purses and deep tissue massages. The IRS – the land of the unfashionable stiff necked people.
Anyway, it’s fine that I owe. I mean, I’d rather owe and pay it than not pay it and be a criminal by the time I’m 26. Tax evasion isn’t a good look. Well, unless you’re Theresa from the Real Housewives of New Jersey, who only served a hot minute in prison and now has her own TV show and book deal. So I guess tax evasion isn’t so bad?
Don’t worry. I’m only joking. Kind of.
Something I won’t be evading is this pan of Brown Butter Espresso M&M Blondies. They are spectacular, people. Sweet, salty, and bursting with rich, warm, aromatic vanilla and espresso powder. To make ’em extra special and gourmet, I sprinkled coarse sea salt on top just before baking to give them a wonderful crunch and salty bite. You could totally omit this if you’d like – but who denies a little extra flavor, am I right?
First y’all need to brown your butter. This is crucial if you want to call these Brown Butter Blondies. Browning your butter imparts such amazing flavor into these blondies- adding a wonderful warmth and nuttiness. Just be sure to watch your butter like a hawk, because it can go from gorgeously amber to hideously burnt in a matter of seconds. Trust.
Brown your butter all nice like, then let it cool for a sec. Once it’s cooled down a little, stir in your brown sugar. I used dark brown sugar because I wanted a really deep flavor, but light works too! Then stir in your eggs, a healthy helping of vanilla extract, some baking soda & flour, and of course – your espresso powder!
Espresso powder can be found near the coffee in most grocery stores. I use a brand called Medaglia D’Oro which has wonderful flavor. In this recipe I added two Tablespoons – but you can add more or less to suit your taste. I found that two Tablespoons was just right – not super coffee-like, but had a nice jolt.
And lastly – duh. M&M’s! I used mini M&M’s because they cover more surface area and I personally don’t like large chunks to chew through. I’ve actually never been a super fan of chunky food. Call me crazy, I already know it.
Throw on the sea salt – be liberal! Liberate yoself. Bake it until it’s nice and golden and then EAT. Please, for the love of Pete, EAT.
If the IRS accepted these blondies as a form of payment, honey, they’d be paying me!
Brown Butter Espresso M&M Blondies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp espresso powder more or less to suit your taste
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups miniature M&M's candies
- 1-2 Tbsp sea salt for sprinkling on top (more or less to suit your salty preferences)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally spray a 13x9" baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once melted, stir it around occasionally, watching it constantly, as it deepens and darkens in color. The mixture will bubble up, then start to look foamy, but keep stirring and checking it until it's nutty and fragrant and a deep amber color. Once achieved, immediately remove it from the heat and cool it for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar until combined, then the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the espresso powder, followed by the baking soda and flour until a soft batter has formed. Stir in the M&M's candies.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with the sea salt. Bake for approx. 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely before serving.
These are a sweet and salty lover’s DREAM come true! I ate mine with a big cup of coffee and I highly recommend you do the same!
Have a super sweet day!