Okay, so this isn’t really a recipe, but it’s worth posting because OH MY GOSH THESE ARE SO GOOD.
If you’ve never made brown butter before, it really brings a deeper, more complex flavor and much-needed oomph to any recipe… these krispy treats included. It almost adds a warm, toasted marshmallow-y flavor to these treats which really makes them even more delicious!
And did ya know that rice krispy treats happen to be one of my favorite desserts ever? And that 99% of the time, I’ll just eat the goop instead of actually making the treats? So it’s actually kind of miraculous that I have actual treats to show you today, because I managed to resist my insane urge to stick my hands in the bowl and binge.
The best part about this recipe is that it’s completely adaptable to your preferences. If you’d like, feel free to use Fruity Pebbles or even Cocoa Pebbles. You can also use flavored marshmallows as well to bring out different flavors to these easy, scrumptious treats. Or try drizzling these with salted caramel sauce for an added richness. It’s seriously limited to your imagination!
Enough yapping – let’s get down to business!
The Perfect Brown Butter Rice Krispy Treats
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 10 cups (1 pkg plus 2 cups) miniature marshmallows divided
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- In a medium saucepot, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Once the butter has melted, keep a watchful eye on it while whisking it. In about 5 minutes, it'll turn a deep amber color after foaming and fizzing for awhile. Remove it immediately from the heat once you see that amber color.
- Immediately stir in the salt, vanilla, and 8 cups (1 pkg) of marshmallows and stir to combine. The residual heat of the saucepot should melt the marshmallows, but if it doesn't melt them all the way, turn the heat back to low and stir the marshmallow mixture constantly until melted.
- Fill a large bowl with the Rice Krispy cereal and pour the marshmallow mixture into the bowl. Add in the remaining 2 cups of marshmallows and toss everything to coat. Once fully coated, spread into a greased 13x9" baking pan. To compact the cereal mixture into neat bars, grease the bottom of a glass cup with cooking spray and press down on the krispy treats until compacted.
- Let set for about 1 hour at room temperature before cutting into bars.
Chewy, gooey, sticky and chewy, these delectable bars will be your new favorite way to have rice krispy treats!
Have a super sweet day!