About 8 years ago, after suffering through a terrible breakup, I went on a diet.
I totally wanted that revenge hot body so I could flaunt it in his face and say ‘BAM, SUCKA.’
Okay, maybe not ‘bam sucka’, but something preferably with expletives. Lots of them. Maybe a crude hand gesture thrown in for good measure.
While on my diet I avoided all fried food, only ate salads and chicken sandwiches from fast food joints, and tried to make healthy swaps wherever possible while cooking and baking.
Now at this point, I didn’t have this blog, but I was still cooking and baking on a regular basis for my family… and also because I found it therapeutic. There’s something so poetic about whipping cream into oblivion or punching dough right in its stupid fat face. Or, you know, wielding a zester. Zesting can be dangerous, you know.
And on the reg, my family would request sweet treats which I was happy to oblige… except, I wanted to participate in eating them, too! So I figured out a way to make cake healthy. Well – as ‘healthy’ as it could be. More like, figured out a way to make cake skinnier than your average store-bought cake. With a few simple swaps, no one was the wiser when I presented them with a skinnified cake. And I could indulge too!
So this Skinny Funfetti Poke Cake brings me back to that time in my life when I’m now needing to make those healthy swaps again. And since you guys are *probably* still sticking to your diet resolutions, I figured we could all use some healthy indulgence 🙂
This cake has two secret ingredients: unsweetened applesauce and egg whites. Okay, they aren’t super secret, but they make this cake out-of-this-world moist and utterly delicious. The applesauce replaces the oil that’s typical in cake baking, and the egg whites bind everything together without the calories of the added yolks.
Bake this cake up, poke a few holes in it when it cools and pour on the delicious nectar of the gods: fat-free sweetened condensed milk. Then slather on Cool Whip and top with sprinkles for a festive and healthified treat that’s sure to make you happy!
Skinny Funfetti Poke Cake
- 1 box Funfetti cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 small box sugar-free/fat-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 (14 oz can) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (8 oz container) Cool Whip Free, thawed
- About 1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles more or less to suit your tastes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a 13x9" baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Pour the cake mix into a large bowl and reserve one Tablespoon. To the bowl of mix, add the egg whites, applesauce, water and dry pudding mix. Beat with an electric mixer for approx. 2 minutes or until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for approx. 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Cool completely.
- Once cool, use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes throughout the cake, careful not to pierce through to the bottom. Pour on the fat-free sweetened condensed milk.
- Combine the reserved Tablespoon of Funfetti cake mix and the Cool Whip, folding gently to combine. Spread evenly over the top of the cake and refrigerate for AT LEAST 4 hours or overnight. Top with the sprinkles and serve!
Fluffy, light, moist and utterly divine! You’ll love this lower-cal cake!
Have a super sweet day!