It’s so good.
When it comes to pumpkin pie, I’m on the fence. Give me pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bread, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin shakes. But when it comes to pie, I’m so iffy. There’s just something about it that I don’t quite like. But don’t take that as me not eating it, because with an astronomical amount of whipped cream, I’ll totally polish off a slice.
But this pie? This pie I can get behind. It’s apple-y, creamy, smooth, and absolutely heavenly, especially topped with a mountain of freshly whipped cream and a light dusting of cinnamon sugar for texture and crunch.
It’s a great alternative to those who don’t necessarily like pumpkin pie but want something hearty and delicious for Thanksgiving or harvest season. It has the same gooey, smooth texture but made with straight-up apple butter, which is such a wonderful seasonal ingredient. Use store-bought or homemade apple butter for an unparalleled flavor.
I hope you enjoy!
*very lightly adapted from Taste of Home
- ½ cup apple butter (store bought or homemade; I recommend Musselman's brand)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 tsp apple pie spice (or substitute ground cinnamon)
- 1 frozen or refrigerated pie crust
- Fresh whipped cream
- Cinnamon sugar, for dusting, optional
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F. Place the pie shell onto a rimmed baking sheet for easy removal from the oven. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the apple butter, egg, sugar, flour, evaporated milk and spices until blended and smooth. Pour into the prepared pie shell.
- Bake for approx. 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. The top still may be jiggly; this is okay as the pie will continue to set up as it cools.
- Cool the pie completely before garnishing with fresh whipped cream and dusting with cinnamon sugar, if desired. I like my pie cold, so I keep mine in the fridge but it isn't necessary.
Rich, creamy, and perfectly seasoned, this apple-scented pie is perfect for fall! You guys are going to love it!
Have a super sweet day!