A couple days ago, I was invited to a blogging event at Seasons 52, a restaurant in Sacramento.
(Side note: have you been there? It’s an amazing chain with excellent food).
I was allowed to bring a guest, so naturally I brought my BFF, my mom. It was the first time my mom had been to a blogging event with me, and frankly I was really excited about it. Finally, someone who will understand what I do all day and why the sink is never empty!
Actually.. she’ll probably never understand why the sink is never empty. But I digress.
A couple of my blogging friends were there so we all gathered around and snacked on hors d’oevres before dinner. I was kinda nervous for my mom since I have once been the outsider to a group and know how awkward it can be when everyone else is yammering about their own inside jokes and subjects, especially since my mom knows virtually nothing about blogging except why there’s always dirty dishes in the sink and why most of my clothes are covered in a thin veil of powdered sugar.
But ultimately my mom came in and took names. She was schmoozin’ with the best of them and making her rounds, meeting all the new people like she was an old pro or something. Maybe it had to do with the fact that they were serving wine, but either way, mom was at it and I was impressed.
And that is the story of how my mom continues to surprise me.
Like when she dropped a flatbread pizza on the floor last night. True story.
And after stuffing ourselves silly, we came home and still had a Pumpkin Gooey Bar. Because it’s September now and pumpkin is fair game.
These gooey bars are so fantastic! They’re eerily similar to my regular Best-Ever Gooey Cake Bars, but with one special orange ingredient: Pumpkin! These have an amazing, warm, fall-inspired flavor bursting with cinnamon spice and everything niiiiiice. They’re ultra rich, gooey, and utterly spectacular.
Make them now! Impress yourself.
Pumpkin Gooey Bars
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 sticks butter melted & divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese softened
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 (16 oz) pkg powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9" baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Mist the foil with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, one (1) stick (1/2 cup) of the melted butter and one (1) egg together until blended; dough will be thick. Press evenly into the prepared pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese, pumpkin, pie spice and vanilla with a handheld electric mixer on medium speed until blended and creamy. Beat in the remaining 1/2 cup melted butter, & the remaining 3 eggs until blended. Lastly, beat in the entire pkg of powdered sugar.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the bar base and bake for 45 minutes or until the center is just about set (slightly jiggly is okay). Cool completely, then refrigerate for at least an hour to set up. Store bars in fridge.
Pumpkin-y. Spicy. Sweet. And absolutely heavenly! These bars will soon become your new fall favorite!
Have a super sweet day!
It is September and pumpkin is beyond fair game! These look amazing! Ps: I’m glad your mom had a great time! Some blogger events can feel secluded but so nice she was welcomed 🙂
You’re right – thankfully this wasn’t a secluded kinda night! 🙂
Kayle (The Cooking Actress) says
aw I’m so jealous-I would’ve loves to have met your mom! She’s obviously super cool! and these bars are SUPER gooey!
Next time, make a trip to CA!
Can I just face plant into the pile of these bars? Yeah? Good… 😉
Julie @ Julie's Eats & Treats says
Way to go MOM!!! Wine always helps those situations out! These pumpkin bars look divine!
Ha Mom was definitely feelin’ the wine! 😉 Thanks Julie!
Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction says
Whoa, pumpkin in gooey bars! Love these!
Thanks Jessica! 🙂
Jocelyn @BruCrew Life says
That’s awesome that your mom was so relaxed and schmoozing with everyone! And now that is September I say bring on all the pumpkin! These look so crazy good!!!
Seriously it’s true. These are divine. And you are hilarious! Thank you tons!!!!!
Thank you, Lex!
A whole bag of powdered sugar?!? Oh my. How much can I cut back in this and still be okay?
Hi Heidi, remember, the whole bag (1 lb) is spread among 15-18 bars, more if you cut them smaller. You cannot decrease without affecting the filling.