Like, terribly bad. It’s brutal.
Normally, I’m like a fountain of stories, always spewing out some kind of strange tale of my own personal reality. But lately? I can’t think of a single thing. I’ve told all my good stories – the ones so far, anyway. And if I could predict into the future, I’d probably tell you the story of how I fell madly in love with a total hunk and we lived happily ever after in New York City.
But in reality, I’ll probably tell you the future story of how I unknowingly went on another date with a convict and he made me buy my own froyo. So there’s that.
In my defense, I think my writers block is due to how hot it’s been already. It’s pushing in the 90s in Sacramento and I cannot handle the heat and am desperately trying to squirrel together some change to move to the nearest chilly city as soon as possible. But since I’d need about a trillion quarters in order to do that, I’m just sitting here, dying of heat exhaustion and willing myself to drink more water than humanly possible.
It’s a tough life, and someone (unfortunately) has to do it.
But seriously, whyyyyy Mother Nature? Why must it be pushing in the 100s in May? Can’t we save that for never? Or at the very least, in the dead of August when everyone’s sweaty and miserable and threatening homicide because of heat stroke? Not in May, which evokes jolly springtime-y fun and breezy weather. It’s bad enough that swimwear starts hitting shelves in March; we don’t need the heat to come so shortly thereafter.
So anyway. I’m grasping at nothing here for some kind of interesting topic but I’m coming up dry. I apologize for my severe lack of wittiness and humor. I’ll do better next time.
But in the meantime, I did you a favor by making this best-ever Damn Good Chocolate Cake. It truly is ‘damn good’ and that’s the exact sentiment I received from my family after we each had a piece. It’s so sinfully rich and chocolaty – pure, unadulterated chocolaty goodness here – in a moist, soft and tender cake. Then I went ahead and doused the whole thing in chocolate ganache which, let’s face it, is the best thing ever – and chocolate chips for texture.
Damn. Damn good indeed.
Damn Good Chocolate Bundt Cake
- 1 box chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1 (3.4 oz box) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup (8 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- About 2/3 cup miniature chocolate chips for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Liberally grease a large bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix (just the dry mix), eggs, oil, buttermilk and sour cream with a handheld electric mixer on medium-low speed. Beat for 2 minutes or until combined and smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake for approx. 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely before inverting onto a wire rack.
- Once cake has cooled, make your ganache. In a large microwave-safe bowl, microwave the heavy cream and 1 cup of the semi-sweet chocolate chips for 45 seconds. Stir, then microwave for another 30 seconds or until melted and smooth. Allow the ganache to set at room temperature for about 15 minutes before pouring over the top of the cake. Garnish immediately with the miniature chocolate chips and let set, about 20 minutes. Cut into slices and serve!
Don’t have a bundt pan? Bake these as cupcakes, cake pops, or cake in a 9×13″ or round 9″ cake pans. It’s truly the only chocolate cake recipe you need! Moist, tender, and absolute chocolate heaven.
Have a super sweet day!