But I have to say, a good portion of the night I was scared.
Scared… of mountain lions.
You see, Carmel is a beach town nestled among a pretty countryside. And within every pretty countryside there’s a ferocious beast sniffing me out to eat me alive, and that ferocious beast is a mountain lion. AKA, my worst fear ever.
Well. Besides being burglarized and heights. And monkeys. And sandals.
At nighttime, we kept the doors open to let a breeze in, and of course it’s pitch black outside with no light except for the one illuminating the room we were in. And the ranch we stayed at had huge windows everywhere, just begging to be squinted through into the midnight-black courtyard where I could only assume a family of hungry, rabid mountain lions waited.
And so amidst conversation with the girls and sipping on cocktails, I continued to glance out the windows in prayer that no critters – beastly or otherwise – would emerge from the darkness and kill us all. It didn’t help that I was sitting right next to the open doors and thus would be first pick among rabid monsters.
So in conclusion, next time, I’m bringing a Xanax. And I’ll also suggest having a retreat in a bustling city. I much prefer traffic noise over the eerie silence of a mountain lion’s playground if you know what I mean.
I also prefer the ooey gooey goodness of these S’mores Cookie Bars which are out of control amazing. Gooey and rich, they’re packed with a huge, thick layer of marshmallow creme and creamy chocolate and sandwiched between two big ol’ layers of soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies. They’re the perfect treat!
You could say I went a little beastly on them.
- 2 pkgs (24-count each) refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1 (7 oz) jar JET-PUFFED Marshmallow Creme
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8x8" baking pan with foil, extending the sides of the foil over the edges of the pan. Spray the foil with cooking spray and set aside.
- Press one of the packages of cookie dough into the bottom of the pan in an even layer. Top with the chocolate chips; set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the marshmallow creme and the condensed milk, stir to blend together. Pour over the chocolate chips. Carefully and evenly top with the remaining package of cookie dough. It's okay if some of the marshmallow peeks out through the cracks.
- Bake for approx. 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the center appears set. Cool completely, then refrigerate for at least an hour to help set up, preferably overnight. Allow bars to come to room temperature slightly before cutting into squares.
Supremely gooey, packed with sticky marshmallow creme… these cookie bars are a forced to be reckoned with! You’ll love how thick and chewy they are, with pockets of rich chocolate in every bite! And they’re the perfect way to end S’mores Week.
I hope you’ve enjoyed S’mores Week.. I know I have!!