I know I say everything is ‘insanity.’ Consider me at a loss for spiffy adjectives. I’m spent.
BUT. I can assure you that repeated adjectives aside, this cake rocks. It’s light and tender, has a nice, moist crumb, and packs a seriously divine lemony punch with nutty, crisp poppyseeds swirled throughout. Then it’s topped with this liquid gold lemon glaze that’s ahhhmaaaazing. And? It’s completely gluten-free, dairy free, and vegan.
I’m convinced the only thing it’s missing is a pair of wings, because this cake is on another level of heaven and it’s an angel for those who suffer from gluten intolerance or those just looking to avoid gluten and dairy.
Don’t like lemon? (Who are you, you monster.) Feel free to use lime, orange, or even grapefruit to flavor this citrusy cake. But I prefer the sweetness and subtle tartness of lemon and plus, lemon + poppyseeds = BFFs. They told me so. They also told me to tell you that your face called. It’s missing cake.
- 1 pkg Bob's Red Mill GF Vanilla Cake Mix
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup water, at room temperature
- Juice of one lemon
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 Tbsp poppyseeds
- FOR GLAZE:
- Juice of one lemon (about ¼ cup)
- Zest of one lemon
- About 2 cups powdered sugar (ensure it's gluten-free)
- Raspberries, lemon slices for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Liberally grease a round 9" cake pan with vegetable-oil cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, applesauce, oil, water, juice and zest and beat with a hand mixer for about 1 minute or until combined. Fold in the poppyseeds. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for approx. 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs. Cool completely in the pan before gently turning over onto a wire rack set over wax paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the glaze ingredients until smooth and pourable. You don't want it super thin, like water, but more syrupy and thicker, so adjust with more lemon juice or powdered sugar if needed. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and spread it out to the edges so the entire cake is covered. Serve garnished with raspberries and lemon slices, if desired. Serve immediately or store leftovers airtight at room temperature for up to 1 day.
This cake gets its base mix from Bob’s Red Mill, the leading manufacturer of gluten-free and dairy-free baking mixes made from only the finest ingredients. This cake is moist, tender and absolutely delicious thanks to this easy-to-use gluten free cake mix and from the zest of those freshly-squeezed lemons. I also love the nutty crunch of the poppyseed!
For more info on Bob’s Red Mill, be sure to check out their website!
Have a super sweet Sunday!