When I was a kid, my mom would occasionally buy those Lemon Cooler Cookies at the store. And whenever I’d open up that snack cupboard and see that sunny yellow box, I became so excited because I adored those powdered sugary dreams almost as much as I adored a fresh page of Lisa Frank stickers and Betty Spaghetti dolls.
Dude. Betty Spaghetti? I never thought I’d hear myself say that name again. They smelled so weird, didn’t they? But I loved how stringy and strange they were.
Little Hayley – always a fan of the obscure knock-off toys. Like those Barbies from the Dollar Store with eerily easily removable heads. But I digress.
Have you ever thought about the weird and somewhat disturbing fact that one day you were playing with your toys, everything was right in the world, calories still didn’t exist to you, and suddenly you stopped playing and never returned? There was a day when we set down our Legos and Barbies and never picked them up to play with them again. Or that there was a time that your parents put you down and never picked you up again. BRB, jumping in my mom’s arms now.
So there was a day when we polished off a box of those Lemon Coolers and never ever bought another box again. I don’t know why; we became preoccupied in our lives, forgot to swing by the cookie aisle, or maybe our store ran out briefly, but we never bought another box again and I had completely forgotten about these powdered sugary confections for a looong time.
And then I happened upon this weird grocery store in my town and they had the Lime Coolers, which before stumbling upon them, I had not known existed. I bought them for reminiscing purposes and was immediately transported back to my childhood, licking powdered sugar off my fingers and savoring that sweet shortbread cookie spiked with fresh lemon flavor. The lime were the same, offering that punch of bright lime flavor. I loved them… but I knew I could recreate them 🙂
And now, my friends? These Copycat Lime Cooler Cookies. They’re every bit as tender and crisp as the originals, bursting with juicy, bright lime flavor and coated in powdered sugar. They’re totally delicious and super addictive – you cannot eat just one! – and remind me of my childhood days obsessed with cookies and Lisa Frank (because what girl was not obsessed with those colorful puppy folders?).
ANYWHO. Lime Cooler Cookies. DO IT.
*slightly adapted from this recipe
Copycat Lime Cooler Cookies
- 2 cups (4 sticks) butter softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar divided
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime zest
- 1/4 cup key lime juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with silicone liners or spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter and ONE (1) cup of the powdered sugar until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add in the key lime juice, the zest and vanilla and beat to combine. Lastly, add in the flour and cornstarch until a thick dough has formed.
- Roll Tablespoon-sized balls of dough and place them 1" apart from one another onto the prepared baking sheets. Gently press them down with a sugared glass.
- Bake for approx. 9-11 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time, until golden brown and set. Cool completely on the baking sheets. Remove to a wire rack and one by one, gently coat in the remaining powdered sugar. Serve!
These crisp, buttery shortbread cookies are so flavorful and packed with that fresh lime punch. You’ll love them! If you don’t like lime, feel free to substitute lemon or orange for another bright citrusy spin. You could also omit the powdered sugar dusting and glaze them with a quick lime glaze. Either way, you must make them – they’re scrumptious!
Have a sweet day!!